Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone here following the Dr. Sears vaccine schedule?

We have our 12 month visit on Friday and I'm trying to figure out what to do with shots.  The shots I'd like to do sometime in the near future (like sometime around the 12 month appointment) are flu, polio and MMR (and then Prevnar and Hib at 15 months).  This gets complicated because I don't want to do flu and MMR in the same visit, and flu shot requires 2 doses.  What I have worked out in my head is flu and polio at the 12 month, second flu at 13 month, MMR at 14 month and then Prevnar and Hib at 15 months.  That will work, but it's an awful lot of visits.  Just wondering what others are doing or if anyone has any suggestions.  Sears suggest not combining MMR and flu because of the high likelihood of side effects like fever, nausea, etc with both shots and LO hasn't had either, so I have no idea how he'd handle them.  Maybe if he does ok with the first flu shot, I could combine the MMR with the second flu shot?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
Shawn and Larissa
LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone here following the Dr. Sears vaccine schedule?

• Options

We waited until 12 months. We are doing Hib, PC and Dtap right now. Polio and Hep A around 2. No flu shot and no MMR or Varicella until right before school. Maybe Hep B around that time also.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're doing flu at 13 months, something at 15 months (I haven't had enough coffee to remember which) and MMR at 2 years.
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejday1229:
    We're doing flu at 13 months, something at 15 months (I haven't had enough coffee to remember which) and MMR at 2 years.

Pushing the MMR off a bit is another option

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • Options

Im trying, but is there a book for the Sears Vaccine schedule?

We are also (this week) finding a pedi who is accepting of the schedule.  I'm tired of having to explain myself over and over and try to "justify" my choices of the vaccine schedule with my by-the-medical-book pedi.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We did polio at 12 months, HiB at 15 and DTaP at 18. We don't do flu, DD had a reportable reaction to prevnar so we don't do that one, and we will do MMR at 2. I wanted to wait until 3 to do MMR but we are traveling to Europe in the summer and I would hate for her to get measles while we're abroad, as there are more pockets of it in the countries we are heading to. We won't do Varicella unless she hasn't had chicken pox by the time she's 10 or so and we will check with a blood titer.
  • Options
    imagePrincess_Lily:

We are also (this week) finding a pedi who is accepting of the schedule.  I'm tired of having to explain myself over and over and try to "justify" my choices of the vaccine schedule with my by-the-medical-book pedi.

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Bob Sears is where it's found.  One of the complications is that he lists the components of the MMR separately and the components aren't available separately anymore.  My pedi was accepting of really anything we wanted to do with vaccines.

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    imagesmilelari:
    imagePrincess_Lily:

The Vaccine Book by Dr. Bob Sears is where it's found.  One of the complications is that he lists the components of the MMR separately and the components aren't available separately anymore.  My pedi was accepting of really anything we wanted to do with vaccines.

Thats wonderful that your pedi was accepting of it.  I'm going to see if its there at the local bookstore.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I only at the most give 2 shots at each appointment and give at least 3 months between doses. I did not give any shots at 12 or 15 months. At 18 months he had DTap. We do not do flu shots and will wait until before school to do MMR. You don't need to cram them all in to stay on a schedule
  • Options

imageAndi30:
    I only at the most give 2 shots at each appointment and give at least 3 months between doses. I did not give any shots at 12 or 15 months. At 18 months he had DTap. We do not do flu shots and will wait until before school to do MMR. You don't need to cram them all in to stay on a schedule

See, I can't really wait until school because DS is in daycare, so really, he's already in school

Shawn and Larissa
  • Options
    I don't have the vaccine schedule in my head, so I can't give you advice, but we are doing the sears modified schedule.  she got 3 shots at her 15 mos appt--pc, hib and flu I think.  I know she got flu.  I think her MMR is delayed until 2 years or so.  Again, I don't remember the exact schedule.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This is what we are doing:

October - Get Mercury Free first Flu Shot

November: Get Mercury Free second Flu Shot

12 months rec: Mumps (NOW MMR), Polio  ***Delay both****

15 months rec: Pc, HIB (make appt. and get these shots on or after January 13 but preferably no later than 1st week of Feb)

February/no later than 1st week of Mar (make shots only appt. at office to get MMR and 2nd Polio)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"