Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Any advice about widwives at UPMC Womancare?

I'm starting to do some research into midwives in my area, but my natural childbirth friends are all Forbes women (I have UPMC insurance, so that's out for me...)

I looked at The Widwife Center, but I don't want to have to drive all the way to the Strip District for all my appointments unless absolutely necessary.

My current gyno doesn't do OB, so I have to go to someone new anyway. The ones I have on my list for the Monroeville location are Sandra Blaser, Lisa Cone, and Sandra Cooper.

Any advice/experience to share?

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

Re: Any advice about widwives at UPMC Womancare?

• Options
    I've heard good things about them all.  I've met Lisa Cone and really liked her.  If you want the guarantee of a midwife actually doing you delivery though you'll probably need to stick to one of the midwifery practices which unfortunately has you driving into either the strip, Oakland or Squirrel Hill.  I would check with Womancare and ask them if one of the midwives is always on call but I think they just rotate on calls with the docs (although I'm not 100% sure of this).
  • Options

I have used the Midwives at Magee for my gyne care and am now using them for OB. I'm 14 weeks along. So far, they have been great! And yes, you are guaranteed to have one of them at your birth; they do rotate through midwives, so you're not sure which one will be at your birth, but so far I've liked everyone that I've met. A big perk for me was that they consult with a group of physicians and you give birth in the hospital so if anything goes awry you're safe and don't have to be transported to another location. They also continuously update the doctor on call about your progress throughout the course of your labor so if something were to go wrong, the doctor would have at least some info about you rather than going in cold right at the time of the emergency.

One thing that I found out at my last appt: the midwives at magee birth on average 60 babies a month! So, with that many babies a month there is a chance that there will be another woman in labor at the same time that you are. For this reason, they can't guarantee that they will be with you for the entire labor but they do guarantee that they will be there for the transition (I think that's what she said) and the birth (obviously).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the info, ladies!

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

• Options
    Sandra Blaser is part of the group I go to.  I've never gone to her, but I've seen all the other doctors in her group and they're all awesome.  I'm sure she is too.  I know she works hand-in-hand with them, so I'm sure she'd be a good one to go to, too.  :)
  • Options

I go to Magee Womancare, which is a group of OB's and a couple of midwives. I've seen Sandy Cooper 2 times, but they were only for my initial visits after becoming pregnant.

I think your best bet is to see The Midwife Center if you absolutely want a midwife delivering your baby. I've also heard great things about them. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm coming into this post late, but want to say that driving to Oakland to see the Midwives at Magee is well worth the drive. I live an hour away and did it for 2 pregnancies. They are FABULOUS! I had my natural vaginal birth 2 Junes ago w/ Tina and a c-section due to Twin A being breech just 4 weeks ago w/ Carol by my side. Every single midwife down there that I've met and worked with had been phenomenal, and one of them is always on call. Unless some major complication arises a mdwife will attend your birth, and they stay by your side every second if an OB has to take over. If you decide against one of the midwife practices I'd reccommend hiring a doula, that way there is someone in the room at all times that knows about the birthing process and that knows you! If you use Womancare as your provider, even though they make you rotate through all of the providers in their office you may wind up w/ someone from another office attending your birth, with a doula at least there's someone who knows whats what that you've discussed your wants and hopes with.
  • Options
    I love Sandy Blaser!  I saw her most of the time with my first child and she was on call when I delivered. I ended up having a c-section so a doctor from another division had to do it because she can't.  I have seen her a number of times this pregnancy too but I am now seeing the doc with will do my section. She's an awesome choice!
  • Options
    I also used the Midwives at Magee. I'm in the Greensburg area and it was well worth the drive. They were great they were a great advocate for my wishes. I had complications and they worked very closely with the Dr and made sure she was the one there for the actual birth. I will be using them again.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I went to the Midwife Center in the Strip District and LOVE them, so in that respect I'd say it's worth the trip - but I know women who have gone to the midwives at Magee and were also very happy with their experience.  One of my all time faves at the Midwife Center left a while after I had my little boy and I believe she is now at Magee - her name is Laura Wunnderly and she is great.  Good luck with your search! 
    Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"