Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

North Face vs. Columbia Jackets

I'm looking for a very warm jacket.  Does anyone have an opinion on which jacket is 'better' between North Face and Columbia?
imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

Re: North Face vs. Columbia Jackets

• In the REI world, North face beats Columbia most of the time, but if your talking about for a child who will outgrow it in a year, I would go with columbia.  In fact, DD's winter coat this year is Columbia.  Both are good quality.  Northface tends to have better styling too.
  • For you? Columbia makes a bunch of different "levels" of coats, not only in warmth but in quality. I.e. the kind for ski shops vs. the kind for Kohl's. I think North Face only makes the higher-end ones. So, you really need to compare particular items to know which is better/warmer.

In my opinion, real down is still the warmest thing. My down jackets are warmer than my Columbia ski jacket. The best? I have a long puffy down coat from Lands' End that I call "big blue." It's not very attractive, but it is AWESOME. Like wearing a big comforter. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It's for me.  I'm looking for something a little sleeker looking than the Columbia's and North Face has a new jacket out this year that is just that.  They're about twice the money but I figure I'll have it for years.  I just want to stay warm!
    imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• North Face - hands down in my opinion. I have a ton of Columbia stuff from when I lived in Portland, Or and then my husband (who is an avid skier/boarder) "introduced" me to North Face. I was always dry and warm when we went to the mountain and never uncomfortable. Plus its a little more stylish I think too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • North Face is "better" and around here Helly Hansen is best (also more stylish). Columbia is ok and a great value if you shop the Outlet, but I don't think they are as warm.

I live near Mt. Bachelor and get major coat envy each season. I'm excited to lose my pregnancy weight and fit into old coats this winter! =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love North Face. I have purchased two of their winter coats and they were both super warm.

I have this one, except it's older so the quilted part looks slightly different. I love it.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_The-North-Face-Women-s-Aconcagua-Jacket_10097152_10208_10000001_-1_

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've had the same Columbia coat since I was 20.  I'm not 29 and you'd never be able to tell that it was 9 years old.  It still looks great and I wear it a ton when it's cold.  I've never had a North Face coat- they've gotten too popular with the high school crowd so I don't really have a desire to wear one anyway.  NF coats probably have this too, but my coat has a fleece coat on the inside and a nylon or whatever windproof one on the outside.  You can take them apart for when it's not as cold.  Obviously, Columbia is much less expensive, if that matters at all.  I think I paid $150 for my coat years ago.
  • DH, the avid camper/hiker, would say North Face in an instant.  But I can't afford it so I've done Columbia my whole life with no complaints.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageChristina79:

North Face is "better" and around here Helly Hansen is best (also more stylish). Columbia is ok and a great value if you shop the Outlet, but I don't think they are as warm.

I live near Mt. Bachelor and get major coat envy each season. I'm excited to lose my pregnancy weight and fit into old coats this winter! =)

Oooh I forgot about HH - they are are good too

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"