Louisiana Babies

Need advice on moving to Baton Rouge...

My family will be moving there and we know nothing about the area. Can anyone recommend some safe, nice neighborhoods? Thanks

Re: Need advice on moving to Baton Rouge...

• Hello & welcome! 

Do you know if you'd like to live in one of the suburbs or actually in the city?  I assume someone in your home will be working...does it matter how close (or far) you are from your job?  Where are you moving from?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • work would be in zip code 70811. we would like to be within a 30 min drive living in the suburbs. thanks

• Loading the player...
  • I am pretty sure that's the north side of town (near the airport?) so the towns of Zachary and Central would be great places to look.  They both have nice neighborhoods & excellent public school systems (well, as excellent as it gets in LA).  And both are within 30min of where you'll be working.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Agree with PP. Zachary and Central would be great choices. 
  • Depends on how much you want to spend? As far as BR suburbs, property values are highest out in Prairieville/Dutchtown. We moved there from Baton Rouge 4 years ago and love it. We are one mile from the interstate, 5 miles from Baton Rouge, and on a good day I get to the mall in 10 minutes!Eventhough you get a little bit of a smaller house for the money vs. Denham Springs/Zachary, you still get a much bigger house for the money vs. Baton Rouge. Either route you choose, Prairieville/Denham Springs/Zachary (all different directions from BR), they are all known to be great areas to raise children with many of the highest scoring public schools in the state.

Oh, and one more plug for Prairieville/Dutchtown...it only takes us 45 minutes to get to Nola. =)

Good luck with your search! HTH

• Central is definitely where you want to be!  My husband and I moved here from Mid City b/c of the awesome schools.  It's a new school system but it's already ranked really high (4th in the state I believe).  Give it a few years, and it will be above Zachary for sure (who is currently #1 or 2).  Central is just a little bit nicer than Zachary--everyone I know that lives in Zachary is currently trying to leave.  If you're working by the airport, then Prairieville will be about a 30-45 minute drive everyday, but it is a nice area too.
  • I live in Zachary and love it.  It isn't a long drive to go into BR and I teach in the Zachary school system and love that as well.  I would highly recommend it.  I much prefer living here than living in BR itself.  Central is our rival, so I won't recommend it, but it is also a great place.  Big Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"