1st Trimester

Flu Shot? Thermasol?

Does anyone know about the thermasol free flu shots? Are they better for pregnant women? Where can you even get them/?   Any advice? Thanks

Re: Flu Shot? Thermasol?

• I am not sure but the whole flu shot thing is on my list of things to talk to my doctor about. 
  • Supposedly CVS and Walgreens both have them but you should call your local to find out.
  • Loading the player...
  • While pregnant the last time I got mine at Walgreens.  Some docs recommend that pregnant women do get the thermasol free shot.  Check with you doctor's office though, for they may have it available for you.  Pregnant women are one of the groups at the top of the list.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely DO NOT take the nasal injection for the flu!!! I work in research and I've been debating on getting it and after I pulled up the actual information on ingredients and clinical studies etc. ( in great detail) it actually says that clinical trials were NOT conducted on pregnant women and so they don't know the actual effects. This drug/shot was pushed through the FDA extremely fast (which is really scary). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ***Lurking***

If you can get the shot with the lower amt of preservative (theramsol) it would be better. Though, both injections are safe for pregnant women and advised for pregnant women by the CDC and march of dimes.

You can not take the nasal spray as it is a live virus.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just plan to get the regular shot unless my doctor tells me not to. There is no demonstrated risk to pregnant women from the normal preservatives.

Any doctor worth seeing will recommend you get the flu shot as soon as possible.

• **Lurking**

Thermasol, though it is in a smaller dose in the flu injections, has still been a cause of autism.  Really look into it and educate yourself before making a decision.    www.ageofautism.com

Also, take a look at the FDAs website regarding this.  Read the fine print.....

I, personally, would NOT get the shot. Read the ingredients insert section 8.1.... I think you'll agree....

• imageTropicalbride09:

**Lurking**

Thermasol, though it is in a smaller dose in the flu injections, has still been a cause of autism.  Really look into it and educate yourself before making a decision.    www.ageofautism.com

I, personally, would NOT get the shot. Read the ingredients insert section 8.1.... I think you'll agree....

First of all, it's thimerosal, ffs.  You'd think if you had actually done any "research" (lol) on the scarrrrrrrry preservative, you'd at least have figured out how to spell it by now.

If you really want to read a little something on this, start with a reputable source:

https://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs/articles/vaccine-education-center/thimerosal.pdf

https://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs/articles/vaccine-education-center/autism.pdf

• I got mine today at the OBs office. It was covered by insurance and mercury and additive free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a ICU nurse and saw several people die from the flu last year.  It really upsets me when people talk about not getting the flu shot because of side effects.  Why would you even take the chance of losing your baby or your own life???
  • I'm a pharmacist who works in a hospital.  Yes, it is thimerosal that is the mercury containing preservative in some flu shots.   This was more of a concern when there were flu vaccine shortages in past years because your healthcare provider couldn't guarantee which vaccine they would have in stock when you came in.  Now, it is relatively easy to request and receive the preservative-free kind.

The recommendation for pregnant women is to get the preservative-free injection.  Some women like to wait until after their first trimester, but that is personal preference. 

As PP mentioned, DO NOT get the nasal vaccine.  This is a live (weakened) virus vaccine that can actually give you the flu.  Since your immune system is lowered during pregnancy, your risk of contracting the flu from the nasal vaccine is much higher than the general population.  The injection does not contain live virus, so it cannot give you the flu. 

If you have certain food (i.e. eggs) or antibiotic allergies, you may not be able to receive the flu shot.  It is pretty standard to answer some questions or fill out a questionnaire prior to receiving the flu shot.  Don't forget to let the person adminsitering the vaccine know that you are pregnant. 

Zoryana Kaitlyn born 4/16/08. 8 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches long Aidan Sean born 5/23/11. 9 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekdodge423:

imagejennalea09:
    I am a ICU nurse and saw several people die from the flu last year.  It really upsets me when people talk about not getting the flu shot because of side effects.  Why would you even take the chance of losing your baby or your own life???

You realize some people are allergic to the ingredients, right? Getting the shot is a far greater risk than not getting it for them.

Yes, some people cannot get the flu shot due to allergies/other medical conditions/reasons.  So......the more people who get it, the better for herd immunity.

• My youngest and I just got the vaccines. My husband will get his at work and my two older ones get them at school. I wanted to get mine and DDs done at the same time. We went to the CVS Minute Clinic. She gave me the preservative free one and said that is what they recommend for pregnant women. For DD she gave the standard vaccine with preservative. She said you can request preservative free for the kids (they didn't have any at the time), but that they routinely give the standard vaccine. Both of us did fine. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageToledoDeux:
    imageTropicalbride09:

**Lurking**

First of all, it's thimerosal, ffs.  You'd think if you had actually done any "research" (lol) on the scarrrrrrrry preservative, you'd at least have figured out how to spell it by now.

If you really want to read a little something on this, start with a reputable source:

https://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs/articles/vaccine-education-center/thimerosal.pdf

https://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs/articles/vaccine-education-center/autism.pdf

LOL.... I've seen it spelled both ways, actually!  But, yes, it mostly is spelled Thimerosal.  As far as a reputable source goes, why don't you go to the FDA website and pick apart the ingredient list and read about it.  Look at the clinical trials etc.  Although, if you'd rather just believe everything you hear about it being perfectly safe, you can do that too.  To each her own.  I sure as heck will not take a vaccine that was pushed through so fast, or that contains ingredients that can really harm you and your child.  Also, before you just run out and get that lovely flu shot, why don't you do some "research" on what kind of vaccinations were given (without consent) to many people in the 60s and 70s.  It was called forced sterilization.  GL :)

• Really? Where have you seen it spelled Thermasol? That's a company that makes steam bath products.

Methinks you're just dumb.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTropicalbride09:

LOL.... I've seen it spelled both ways, actually!  But, yes, it mostly is spelled Thimerosal.  As far as a reputable source goes, why don't you go to the FDA website and pick apart the ingredient list and read about it.  Look at the clinical trials etc.  Although, if you'd rather just believe everything you hear about it being perfectly safe, you can do that too.  To each her own.  I sure as heck will not take a vaccine that was pushed through so fast, or that contains ingredients that can really harm you and your child.  Also, before you just run out and get that lovely flu shot, why don't you do some "research" on what kind of vaccinations were given (without consent) to many people in the 60s and 70s.  It was called forced sterilization.  GL :)

Indifferent  Wow.  Just wow.

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageTropicalbride09:

Indifferent

Um. Wow. Okay then.

To answer the OP's question, I think most doctors err on the side of caution and recommend pregnant women get the thimerosal-free shot. I was able to get it at Walgreens last week.

• imageTropicalbride09:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageTropicalbride09:

**Lurking**

OMG lol!

Sweetie, you used Age Of Autism as a "research" source.  I'm pretty sure I have a firmer grasp on what is a reputable source of information on vaccine safety than do you.

Don;t get the flu shot!   HIDE YO KIDS, HIDE YO WIFE, THEY STERILIZIN' EVERYBODY OUT HERE!  lmmfao.

• imageTropicalbride09:
    imageToledoDeux:
    imageTropicalbride09:

**Lurking**

Thanks for this.   I mean, really, Thanks!   I needed a good laugh.    Oh, and just because you've seen a variety of spellings for a word it does not make the all varieties the correct spelling........  For instance, I've seen people spell 'definitely' a variety of ways (defiantly, definately, etc.) is doesn't make all the varieties correct.... definitely only has one spelling - 'definitely.'

BTW:  Age of Autism is definitely not a reputable and especially not unbiased source of research.

• I love threads like this for expanding my block list.

Because if you cite "Age of Autism", I don't want your opinion on anything.

• I got my flu shot about a week and a half ago. It was the thermasol free one because I have had an allegic reaction to a vaccine before. My OB's office had them and gave me a shot when I was in for a regular appointment. I would call your OB to ask about it. I don't know whether they are any safer/better for pg women, but I know my OB's office had both kinds. DO NOT get the nasal spray - it contains the live virus and can be dangerous for pregnant women!
    BFP #1 5/1/10, missed mc dx 6/4/10 BFP #2 8/5/10, baby boy arrived 4/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FYI, I did NOT say that the flu shot will sterilize you... lol... I said to really research what is going into your body and don't believe everything you hear or read.  Just because they say "get the flu shot on the news, H1N1 is killing everyone" doesn't mean you have to do it!!  It's not that hard to go to the FDA's site and look at everything.
  • imageTropicalbride09:
    FYI, I did NOT say that the flu shot will sterilize you... lol... I said to really research what is going into your body and don't believe everything you hear or read.  Just because they say "get the flu shot on the news, H1N1 is killing everyone" doesn't mean you have to do it!!  It's not that hard to go to the FDA's site and look at everything.

You should stop while you're only this far behind.

• Thermasol is a brand of saunas and shower heads.  Dangerous stuff, people.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTropicalbride09:
    l... I said to really research what is going into your body and don't believe everything you hear or read.  

Last I checked ... 'research' meant you read things and talked to professionals about the subject.  Just saying ... 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• i don't do the flu shot for various reasons.  none of which have a thing to do with the evils of thermosol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"