Working Moms
Options

Questions - how long before you told work?

How long did you wait until telling people at work that you were pregnant?  And how long do you think you could have gone before people would have noticed on their own?

I just found out I'm pregnant with my first and I'm curious about how long I can push it.  I would prefer not to tell anyone until Thanksgiving, but I also don't want people guessing that I'm pregnant before I tell my boss.  I will be at about week 14 by then.

Re: Questions - how long before you told work?

• Options
    I think you can wait until 14 weeks. I told around 12-13, right after my NT scan. I wanted to wait until we knew that everything looked good, and I don't think anyone could really tell at that point.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageLeap08:
    I think you can wait until 14 weeks. I told around 12-13, right after my NT scan. I wanted to wait until we knew that everything looked good, and I don't think anyone could really tell at that point.

Same here.  Some people were really clueless and didn't notice until I was almost to 3rd tri (or maybe they just thought I was getting fat).  ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was about 14-15 weeks. I don't remember exactly. I probably could've pushed it futher, but I was ready to let it out. It kind of depends on your body type, but I am fairly fit and was able to wear certain clothing to cover it. I didn't even really get a belly until about month 5.
  • Options
    I told around 10-11 weeks with both pregnancies.  I'm pretty close with the people I work with, and I started to show early with both as well.
  • Options
    I waited to tell until I thought it would become obvious any day. I told around 20 weeks. There are lots of ways to hide it if you want to. Standard is to tell after 1st tri (so after 12-13 weeks), but you can easily hide it beyond that depending on your body type and the clothes you wear.
  • Options

With my first I was 14 weeks when I told them, but I was already starting to show, and my boss already had figured it out.

With my second, because DS was only a few months old, I was only 6-8 weeks along when I told them.  I started showing really early with both.

• Options
    I told at 5 weeks, after it was confirmed by a blood test. I am their only employee and with doctor's appointments and the potential for morning sickness, I just decided to tell early.

• Options

I didn't tell my manager til around 14-15 weeks, I wanted to wait until 2nd trimester. I wasn't showing at all. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I told at 8 week I wanted to wait until after my 12 week appointment and totally could have but I had a training day where we have to do some physical restraints and they don't want pregnant women to do that part of the training. People did start to notice I was pregnant until I was probably 25-28 weeks.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageShufflerChick:
    I waited to tell until I thought it would become obvious any day. I told around 20 weeks. There are lots of ways to hide it if you want to. Standard is to tell after 1st tri (so after 12-13 weeks), but you can easily hide it beyond that depending on your body type and the clothes you wear.

In retrospect, I wish I had waited this long.  I told at 12 weeks.  Some people had guessed, but were respectfully waiting for me to tell them. 

The thing is, once you tell people, you are "the pregnant lady" and EVERYONE wants to ask how you're feeling, tell you that you're not showing, tell you what it was like when they were pregnant, blah blah blah.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I waited 16 wks.  I wanted to wait 20, but my body had a mind of it's own & I started to feel like people would start to wonder b/c I was beginning to show & the baggier clothes weren't cutting it anymore.  I told before people started asking, but just by a few days.  To me, there is no reason to tell early on.  I am paranoid about stuff like that though.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    I waited until I was starting to show at 17 weeks. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I told my boss at 9.5 weeks because although I didn't have any morning sickness, one morning I woke up and was feeling really queazy and figured I'd tell her just in case I had to leave work early (she's really nice and I didn't want to havw to lie). I plan to tell the rest of our department at the end of this week. I'll be 13 weeks then.
    Three angel babies...I think it's time for a change
  • Options
    I told around 16 weeks with my first. It will probably be next week with this one because I am showing much quicker and I think people are starting to wonder.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • Options

I was horrendously sick starting at week 4. I ended up telling my boss when I was 5 weeks with DS. With this one, I told her early as well. We're rolling out a huge project that I'm leading a few weeks before my due date, so I felt like we needed to talk about it.

That being said,  my boss is extremely supportive and understanding. She has two young kids as well, so it was an ideal situation. If things were different, I would have waited. 

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I told my boss after my first appt, just so that he would know that I was going to be using a lot of sick time for Dr appts coming up. He didn't need to know, but I felt it was the courteous thing to do. Coworkers didn't start noticing until around 20 weeks.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I told at 17 weeks.  I thought I was starting to have trouble hiding it but people were still surprised when I told.  I kind of popped at 20 weeks and started wearing maternity clothes then.

Our last pg, which we lost at 11.5 weeks, I hadn't told work yet, and I was very glad.  It was nice to go somewhere and not have people looking at me sympathetically or asking how I was doing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Shared with my boss only around 16 weeks as a courtesy for her own planning reasons, then co-workers around 20 weeks.  I could have easily gone another 4 weeks with the co-workers and kinda wish I had.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"