December 2010 Moms
Options

omg, i just watched an epidural video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WRccCADReY&feature=related

omg, im really scared. Like...panic attack scared. I dont really have a choice about getting an epi. I pretty much have to. The needed scares me to death. 

I am literally sitting here crying. I keep looking down at my belly going "Its too late. You dont have a choice now."

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: omg, i just watched an epidural video

• Options
    I will not watch the link you posted.  I've seen them in general in other videos, but I told H he better keep that thing out of my sight or I will freak out.  I don't even know how I'm going to get through the birthing video they're going to show us in my class (I have never seen one).  Something tells me I'm in for a real treat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I will not watch that either. I had an epi with DD and actually had to have it twice because it didn't take the first time. I barely felt it and that's all I need to know. I DO NOT want to know what goes on back there. Or if I ever know...it will be after this one comes.

ETA: Why do you have to get an epi?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I wish i hadnt watched it. Im just the kind of person that needs to watch these things so that I know EXACTLY whats going on. I will freak out more if I dont know, as strange as that sounds.

Ugh, why do I torture myself?!?!

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

• Options
    I used to do piercings for a living, so unfortunately I knew exactly what to expect when he said 16 gauge.  I have not decided which method I am personally using for my pain relief, but I do plan to see just how long I can go without.  Many people I know say that the epi is not bad, and that in comparison to the contractions you'll be feeling, it will be a cake walk.  Not to scare, sorry if I did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageLynball:
    I used to do piercings for a living, so unfortunately I knew exactly what to expect when he said 16 gauge.  I have not decided which method I am personally using for my pain relief, but I do plan to see just how long I can go without.  Many people I know say that the epi is not bad, and that in comparison to the contractions you'll be feeling, it will be a cake walk.  Not to scare, sorry if I did.

I HAD piercings so I also knew exactly what to expect when he said 16 gauge. And then he kept pushing it further and further in. That was slightly different than the .2 seconds the needle was in my belly button for the piercing. Haha.

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

• Options

OMG, I watched one IRL and almost passed out. It was a couple months ago. I got to the hosptial for my shift and they were just about to do one so I stepped in the room to watch. I don't know what was so bad that made me light headed and shakey, it probably wasn't a good idea to go in without anything to eat yet, but it wasn't pretty. I kind of wanted to see it to scare me from getting one though...

The anesthesiologist talked to me afterwards, he thought it was pretty entertaining that I had to sit down and leave the room. He explained how he times them and if it's timed right (at the height of a contraction) that the mom usually doesn't feel it because they are focused on the pain from the contraction. The mom I watched was completely fine with getting it. She had one with her first baby and wanted it again. Hope that makes you feel a little better about it!

• Options

We watched something similar in high school A&P and our teacher brought in the actual needle they use.

Yeah.  Excellent birth control for a group of teenage girls, I tell you.

• Options
    imagecanthardlywait426:

imageLynball:

I HAD piercings so I also knew exactly what to expect when he said 16 gauge. And then he kept pushing it further and further in. That was slightly different than the .2 seconds the needle was in my belly button for the piercing. Haha.

First, ditto the haha.  Second, OMG to the bold part. Indifferent  I don't even wanna know.  

**stick fingers in ears**

la la la la la la la la

• Options
    imagecurlydoglover:

We watched something similar in high school A&P and our teacher brought in the actual needle they use.

Yeah.  Excellent birth control for a group of teenage girls, I tell you.

Oh I bet it was!

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

• Options
    For me, it didn't seem that bad when I was in labor. The contractions were so painful that I would gladly take any needle to reduce my pain. They re-stuck me three times, and I just remember being totally ok with it even though it hurt. Not that that gives you a ton of comfort, but I really wouldn't be too worried about that needle.
  • Options

I want to watch, but I'm not going to. I remember seeing my sister in labor with my niece (I was 17 so it was excellent birth control in HS and college)... She was in so much pain, and we left for a few minutes so she could get the epidural (which she did not want, but after labor pains she realized she needed it)... 15 minutes later she was sitting there super relaxed.

I figure the contractions will be so painful, I won't feel the needle. (Crossing fingers, hoping I can remain super jaded about this.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    We watched one in our childbirth prep class. I'd much rather watch a video of a birth than watch an epi video!

• Options

Those talking about feeling the needle - don't they give you a local anesthetic first?

Our hospital was very explicit about this - they give you a local anesthetic, make sure that's taken effect, then insert the epidural needle.  Hell, they don't even cath you until the epidural has taken effect so you don't feel that, either.

• Options
    imagecurlydoglover:

Those talking about feeling the needle - don't they give you a local anesthetic first?

Our hospital was very explicit about this - they give you a local anesthetic, make sure that's taken effect, then insert the epidural needle.  Hell, they don't even cath you until the epidural has taken effect so you don't feel that, either.

Yes, they do.

• Options
    I won't watch your video, but I watched the one in my child birth class.  After watching, I decided to go natural.  I am way more afraid of that 16 gauge needle in my spine than the labor pains.  I have decided to look into HypnoBirthing, as I've heard that can really lessen the pain.  I really hope it works!!
    Pregnancy TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You won't have to watch it go in though!  My guess is that you'll be distracted enough that it will be ok.  Plus, sometimes they let the husbands hold you while it goes in.
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options

I think it's less scary than seeing a vaj get ripped in two without pain meds... but that might just be me. :-P

Don't worry hun, don't let it stress you out. ((hugs)) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

....Must not watch link....so hard to resist....ok curiousity you won't suck me in this time.

• Options
    I made the mistake a few months ago of watching a birth video where the woman tore.  I learned my lesson: no more videos, lol.   I'm just going to focus on the happy that the epidural brings.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    I am deathly - DEATHLY - afraid of needles. So I won't be watching any epidural videos and will probably have my eyes closed when they put the IV in me at the hospital and while they give me my epidural (even though I won't be able to see it anyway). I'm definitely freaking out about it, but I'm definitely getting an epidural so I just need to get over it. haha.
  • Options
    imageJulietL129:

I think it's less scary than seeing a vaj get ripped in two without pain meds... but that might just be me. :-P

Don't worry hun, don't let it stress you out. ((hugs)) 

oh, yeah that was pretty scary as well. I won't pretend that Im not scared of all of it!

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

• Options
    My first thought was, "That's so freakin cool!"  Guess it's good I'm going to nursing school.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

There are other pain control options that are not as dangerous or invasive as epidurals, read up on the risks (There are A LOT!).  I encourage you to look into the other options if the idea of one terrifies you.  Our bodies are made to do this, don't forget that!

I am having a Pudendal Block, which only controls pain right before you deliver by numbing the birth canal.  Unfortunately, I live in an area where there is a 97% epidural rate.  I see epidural deliveries to be the equivalent to big, extravagant weddings that people think they have to do because everyone else is. 

Good luck in your decision, I'm sure you and baby will be just fine whatever you choose to do!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"