Preemies

When did you switch to cows milk?

My twins were born at 29 weeks - their actual age is 1 year (Sept 17th was their birthday.) When we went to our 1 year checkup with our Pediatrician, she told us to start the transition to cows milk. I was planning on switching them at their gestational year (December). She told me that I should start giving them half and half if I am not comfortable switching them completely.

When did you switch your preemies to cow's milk? 

Re: When did you switch to cows milk?

• DD was born at 34 weeks.  We began the transition to cow's milk at 1 year (actual, not adjusted).  We did a combination of formula and milk for a few weeks, but she did really well with the milk so all of her feedings were whole milk by 13 months.  When we first began the transition, she did better if the milk was warmed a bit, but now she'll take it right out of the fridge. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We started at 12 months actual (10 adjusted) just introducing it in a sippy and offering at meal times. Now they are 11 adjusted and they take their sippys at meal times and 1 snack time. But I don't know how to transition from the bottle (which is still formula)... perhaps I should research that...
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Loading the player...
  • 1 yr adjusted
  • We did one year cold turkey and she did fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • oh, p.s. we also did cold turkey!  no problems!
  • I started whole milk with my DD turned a year.  I didn't go by gestational year.  My ped told us once she turned 1 it was ok to start regular milk.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DD was born at 34 weeks and we switched over at her actual 1 year, cold turkey.  She had no problems with it at all.
  • We also switched at one year actual. 
  • We switched them at a year ... actual age.  They were fine with it.. they were eating a good amount of table food which is what our pedi is concerned about when switching.  I think if they are doing well with food then you can switch, but if their weights are a concern or they are still learning to eat table food then you should keep up with the formula.

• So glad you asked this, because I was wondering the same thing.  Our DS was born at 27w4d and will be a year old next week.  I breastfed for 10 mos and supplemented w/Neosure.  We switched to formula-only last month.  But it is so expensive!  Really looking forward to getting DS on cow's milk.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"