Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Chocolate Syrup in Formula?

My DD was not drinking enough formula so at my pedi appt. this week she suggested that I come up with "creative" ways to get her to drink more.  One of her suggestions was to add some chocolate syrup.  I've done it some this week, and it definitely works, but is there anything else I can add?  Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what did you do?

Re: Chocolate Syrup in Formula?

• Wow, I think I would get a second opinion.  I wouldn't be adding chocolate syrup to my babies formula!
  • Are you being serious?
  • Loading the player...
  • WTF!

I agree... I would get a second opinion. That is nuts.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • really?? i would try adding pear/prune/apple juice instead of chocolate syrup.
  • Um, I'd be switching Pediatricians b/c yours is coo-coo.
  • seriously?  I assume she meant just a drop?  But no, I will not add sugar to DS' primary source of nutrition.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to go with... MUD.

Are you an AE perhaps??

• ummm noooo....I wouldn't be doing this...how about offering it more or-or umm seriously I wouldn't put chocolate syrup in her formula...

• I actually am serious.  She wanted DD to have no less than 18 oz a day and she wasn't even coming close.  She suggested another thing that I can't remember to help flavor it in case that's the problem.  I'll probably call the office tomorrow and see what other suggestions she may have. 
  • And then when your kid will only eat things with sugar in them????

WTF? I highly doubt your pedi suggested this. That's a LLPOF thing to me.

I don't ever push the issue. If she won't eat, she's not hungry. I'd cut back a bit on the solids and see if she turns to the bottle more, or I'd try a new formula but you start that shit now and you'll be the parent saying "but he only WANTS nutella and white bread for lunch! I've tried other things but he wannnnts it." isn't my way of parenting. That sounds nutty. And do you KNOW what is in chocolate syrup? 

• yeah, that seems a little strange to me. I don't think I'd feel comfortable adding that kind of processed sugar to my baby's diet at this age. Can you maybe try some apple juice or some other type of juice to sweeten it a bit, in a more natural way? Not sure what that would taste like, though.

My friend started giving her DD chocolate syrup in her milk when she was just shy of 1, and now that's all she'll drink. She constantly has a sippy cup of whole, chocolate milk in her hand and she sucks it down like there's no tomorrow....and they wonder why she won't eat any real food. I'd be afraid of that happening, but I guess if you just do it once in a while and your DD doesn't get addicted to it like this girl, then you might be fine. Good luck :)

• imagekmolync:
    I actually am serious.  She wanted DD to have no less than 18 oz a day and she wasn't even coming close.  She suggested another thing that I can't remember to help flavor it in case that's the problem.  I'll probably call the office tomorrow and see what other suggestions she may have. 

If she's not taking formula then what is she eating/drinking all day long?

• Maybe I should have just asked you all the creative ways you have used to make sure your babies are getting enough formula.  That's really what I wanted to know.  I swear to you though, she did suggest it.  I rarely post on here, and when I do I have actual questions.  I don't know what LLPOF means.  Thank you for your responses. 
  • Sorry, I didn't add that she eats jar food and finger foods too.
  • Just give her a Twix and call it a day.

Voila!

• How old is your baby?  Is DC eating solids?
  • I think you just shocked us all.

Seriously though... if my pedi would have suggested that I would have walked out. There is no way that I am going to pump my baby full of sugar. 

I have never once heard of a pedi suggesting to add anything to formula at all. Our pedi said to cut back on solids if DD started drinking less than 24 oz a day. So that is what we did.

I would just get a 2nd opinion.

• Is your DC gaining weight? Is that why your pedi thought she/he should drink more formula?  Is it b/c of fluid intake or slow weight gain? 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

miscarriage at 8 weeks - August 2009
  • my mom put a little applesauce in my formula. 

did she used to drink formula fine or did you just have to switch?  maybe a different kind?  my mom did that after she had to wean me, before i could have cows milk.  hth

• Ditto Supercutebenz!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagekmolync:
    Sorry, I didn't add that she eats jar food and finger foods too.

Has she been formula fed her entire life and just now refusing it?

• Wow.  I really thought you were joking when I read your post title.  I'd call back and also start calling other pedis.
  • On MTV's True life i'm a single parent or something like that, I swear I saw the girl add jar food (like sweet potatoes) to the formula and shake it up.  That seems like a better choice than chocolate...

And i'm not insinuating you are a single parent! just wanted to state where I saw the idea.

• dd went on a bottle strike for a little while and our pedi just said that she would get over it and would tkae more formula when she was ready. i would never add choc to the formula, that would be all i would need for dd to have sugar, she is already all wound up.
  • I think a little fruit juice would be enough to sweeten it up for baby to drink. Because I'm sure it is bland. I would never put syrup in it though, a fruit juice is far healthier and you don't want to put your child on the road to childhood obesity by thinking if they get fussy, give em suger mentality.
  • A friend of mine, her daughter went on a bottle strike after they started solids.  To get her to drink her bottle, they would make "milkshakes."  It was basically formula and a jar of food.  I would think that sweet potato or any fruit would work.

When I read your title, I was wondering if it even mixed in.  Aside from the idea that it is sugared up chocolate that I don't want to give my baby, does chocolate flavored formula turn anyone else's stomach?  The thought almost turns mine.  Ick.

• I know...it was shocking to me as well.  I think I'll try some fruit juice.  She's a great eater (jar foods, etc) and just recently started refusing the bottle.  She's growing and gaining weight just fine,(95% in height, 75% in weight) the dr. said that she still needs the nutrients from the formula...and yes, in hindsight I thought it was strange to worry about nutrients while putting chocolate syrup in a bottle.  I've been somewhat fixated on making sure she gets enough fluids.  Sometimes I suffer from "if the pedi says it it must be true".  The point now is that I need alternatives...which you all have provided me.  Thank you again..I know I sound incompetent, and I feel really stupid.
  • Don't feel stupid or incompetent. You did the right thing by asking about it. Also, it is normal to worry about what/how much your DC is getting. Obviously, you now know that chocolate probably isn't the best choice, so you can experiment with something else. Even though it sounds weird to me (but I am not in your position) I would probably try a fruit or veggie added to it first. That way you know that she is still getting the nutrients from that (plus the flavor) and not the added sugar of juice. It may be hard to transition to milk later, and it would suck if you had to start mixing fruit juice into her milk as well.

GL!

• how old is your LO? sometimes they can decrease their fluid intake due to other reasons. I'd try another formula if you can, maybe one that is NOT iron fortified (they are less bitter).

We had problems switching from BM to formula, we tried everything but DD loves Hipp Organic formula from the UK, its as close to tasting like BM as you can get... there are some problems getting it imported to the US tho. 

she also likes the Mom to Mom formula from Safeway (its a new brand) and we get the 9+ months kind... it tastes sweeter but has no added sugar or anything. 

maybe try something like that and see if its a taste pref instead of adding sugar to the formula. 

(we tried DD on enfamil and similac and she was down to 16oz a day at 6 months, when we switched she imediately went up to 24 oz a day). 

if you LO is old enough, you can make smoothies instead of just the formula, mix the formula, add a little yogurt and fruit puree and blend. 

i also agree w/ pp about lowering the finger foods and jarred food just to see if that helps stimulate her want for the formula. 

GL 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok....stepping in as a pediatrician. That is absolutely ridiculous. No baby should have processed sugar. I'm still not sure what age your DC is, but maybe she is just taking in too many solids? What other liquids is she consuming? If she is at the 75th percentile for weight, then I wouldn't worry about it. I can't believe that your pediatrician actually said "she needs nutrients from formula" and "add chocolate syrup" in the same breath. I would request to have her records transferred to another pediatrician TOMORROW! There is no way that quack would be taking care of DS!
  • imagemelsie:

how old is your LO? sometimes they can decrease their fluid intake due to other reasons. I'd try another formula if you can, maybe one that is NOT iron fortified (they are less bitter).

Low iron and no iron formulas should be taken off the market. There is absolutely no reason for them. A baby should always have iron in their formula. It is essential to their diet.

• She is 9 months old tomorrow :)  I've been cutting back on solids (which she prefers), and offering her the bottle as much as I can.  I put formula in her sippy cup as well and offered that to her.  She's never LOVED taking the bottle.  We pretty much maxed out at 24 oz even before she started baby food but her growths was always on point.  She's always been right on her own growth curve and at those same percentiles for height and weight at every appt.  I'll get to the bottom of things with my pediatrican and go from there. 

• Ditto PP, hurray for my pedi :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd second that opinion.  Are you sure she wasn't being sarcastic? If your DD is a snacker, I would just try alter our feeding schedule.  Maybe instead of every 3-4 hours, bump her up to 2 or  2 1/2 hours but given in smaller amounts. HTH. Wink
  • I am pretty sure she wasn't being sarcastic.  She said it and it totally didn't register with me for a few minutes, then when I realized what she said  I clarified (I thought). 

Regardless, it's not something I'll be doing.  There was a post from this morning (or last night) that I read where the poster was talking about how she needs to trust her instincts.  I would agree with that.  It can be hard though.  Some of the responses made me feel like a complete idiot for even trying it.  As I was doing it I thought "this is so strange"  and I probably should have just listened to that. 

As I said before, she never loved taking a bottle.  She's been on the same formula for her entire life, but it seems like now that she's tasted food, the formula isn't cutting it :)  I'll figure something else out.  I guess if nothing else, your responses have been a wake up call.  HoweverI don't think I'm cut out for posting on message boards as I was surprised at how personally I took things and some of the generalizations that were made regarding the kind of parent I may be!  I think I'll just keep lurking as I was...usually someone else has already asked the question I have!

Thanks again for your responses. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"