Health & Exercise
Options

failed 1 HR glucose

I go in first thing in the morning for my 3 hr test.  Which raises pleanty of concern.  I have never been a big sweets person.  I basically convinced myself I just dont like sweets (candy, cookies, cakes, pastries, fruit)  I always preferred a hearty meal.  Since becoming pregnant, I've started making fruit smoothies which I enjoy.  Some times using 1 activia strawberry  yogurt, and a piece of fruit all blended up.  So I am worried how I failed this test.  Could my body just not be used to the added sugar from all the years of neglect?  Although I was a huge drinker, and theres pleanty of suger in the alcohol I would drink often.... My mom blames failing the test on my fruit smoothies, which again, I dont even add sugar...maybe the fact that the yogurt is sweetened is a little unessassary..  I've been looking all morning trying to find the amount of sugar intake a person should even have each day, which I cant find.  I know if I fail the 3 hr they will put me on a strict diet, I just want to gain as much nutrition knowledge as I can..Any input is appreciated!

Re: failed 1 HR glucose

• Options
    Try and relax. A lot of women fail the 1 hr, and pass the 3 hr. That happened to me, and I do have a sweet tooth. I highly doubt your smoothie is the culprit. Gestational diabetes can happen to anyone. Gl!
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • Options

You have to also look at your family history.

Some people who are prone to have diabetes later in life may develop it during pregnancy.

Hopefully it's not your case. Or mine. I did failed my first HR glucose, and I am going for my second. 

I think a lot of this stress on us would be prevented had they asked us to be fasting in the first place for the first one.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't worry unless you fail the 3 hour. I failed the 1 hour and I'm pretty sure that I'll pass the 3 hour. Don't stress unless it happens. Also, it sounds like your diet probably isn't too far from the GD diet so it might not even be hard for you to do, if you have to!
  • Options
    I failed my first hour, and I do have a ridiculous sweet tooth... diabetes later in life also runs in my family. I still managed to pass the 3-hour so don't freak out too much about it. 
  • Options
    PS- something like 85% of people who fail the 1 hour pass the 3 hour. Those are good odds!
  • Options
    Try and relax.. i went threw the same thing and i had a melt down! the doc said they havent ever seen one so bad! i felt horrible but the second one i did great nothing in my diet changed and trust me i had a lot more sweets then just smoothies ;D your going to do great!  Good luck! 1ht

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"