Maryland Babies
Options

1yo lead test at Quest

I envision a normal blood draw on my little baby for this lead test she has to have, and it stresses me out. My mom said they might do a finger or heel prick on babies if they don't need much blood. Anyone have recent experience with getting this test done at Quest? I hope you can ease my worry about it!

Re: 1yo lead test at Quest

• Options
    Sorry- but it's regular blood draw from the arm. They had me sit with dd in my lap and hold her arms down. It wasn't fun but they were nice and quick. We went to the Quest in bel air which is nicer than other quest's I've been to.
  • Options
    Annabelle had her lead test done around 9 months at LabCorp. and they did a regular blood draw in the arm. It was hard for me. DH had to hold her down. I cried with her.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO had to have blood drawn from the arm at 3 weeks old for jaundice at Quest.  I was less than thrilled with them, my pedi said they could do a heel prick, but when I got there they insisted it had to be the arm, from my freaking 3 week old.   it was quick, but broke my heart to have to hold him on my lap and hear him scream, like Jen I cried right along with him.  but it's over fast, and they are most likely not going to remember it at all.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My son had a blood draw for the lead test at his pediatrican's office. The doctor did it himself. But my son didn't cry or even flinch. I was more nervous than he was. He was fine. I think a lot of it is the approach. I was very happy that it doc did it and we didn't have to go to the lab. Good luck.
  • Options
    Ada went for a blood test recently. She was fascinated by the whole process, she watched the needle go in and squealed when she saw the blood, but didn't cry at all. She was annoyed that I was preventing her from moving, but that was it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    L cries like crazy from vaccinations. I can't imagine seeing her get a blood draw. Ugh. This is going to be freakin' hard. I cry just thinking about it.

• Options
    We haven't had to do it yet but my friend had an awful experience for her DD's 1st year one at a Quest in the Balto area.  She also heard wonderful things about the one in Bel Air and drove all the way up to that one for her DD's 2nd year test.  She said the experience was much better!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options

imageautumn bliss:
    We haven't had to do it yet but my friend had an awful experience for her DD's 1st year one at a Quest in the Balto area.  She also heard wonderful things about the one in Bel Air and drove all the way up to that one for her DD's 2nd year test.  She said the experience was much better!

We went to the Quest at Seven Square on Philadelphia Rd and the staff wasn't too bad. The whole experience sucked, but I can't blame it on the staff. I started crying as soon as they tied the band on DD's arm, so DH opted to sit and hold her instead and sent me to the bathroom to get myself together. It took them forever to find a vein, so DD started crying and I came back and thought it was over, but they still hadn't found a vein! When they finally did, she started crying even harder and and looked so sad, like why are you letting them do this me and I started crying again. Then when they were done, she threw up. She has never thrown up before, and she was still in DH's lap and it was all over both of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"