Babies: 9 - 12 Months

NBR: How much $ do you give for a wedding gift?

We went to a wedding yesterday and gave $100 for a gift.  It was not a family member, just a friend of DH's.  The wedding and reception were amazing and it was obvious that they had spent a lot on the venue/food/open bar.  So afterward we were talking that we felt kind of cheap only giving them $100 (which I thought was good prior).

So help me out for future reference....what is an appropriate amount to give for a wedding gift?

TIA!

Re: NBR: How much $ do you give for a wedding gift?

• Thats what we do if we give cash...if we get a gift we get something between 75-100....i think that is totally reasonable and we live in a very high cost of living area....

• We usually give $200- $300 depending on how well we know the couple. We have given less before but the least has been $150. We live in a HCOL area though so most weddings cost a minimum 30-40k (so we feel obligated to give more). We have decided going forward if we really don't know the couples we will decline and send a lesser expensive gift from the registry.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never given cash. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageablou:
    I've never given cash. 

true, i only have 1 time..when I totally forgot about the wedding and nothing was left on teh registry!!! 

• We usually give at least $200, but we live in an area where weddings are pretty expensive.
  • We give between $75 - $100 or buy a gift from the registry in that amount. I loved receiving cash for our wedding so ever since, it's usually what I give. 
  • If we give money, it's $100 for family, $50-$75 for anyone else, depending on how close we are.

I always spend about $100 on shower gifts too.

• $100 cash or something off the registry that equals that.
  • a good rule of thumb is that you at least cover the cost of your plates...the fancier the wedding, the more you give.  also, we give more depending on how well we know the couple or if family.  and obviously it is tacky to give more than you can afford.

we have given $200-$500 depending on who it is.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • imagerebeccaontherocks:
    Usually around $50

This. I think it probably depends on the region, cost of the wedding, and how close you are to the people.

Usually around $50

This. I think it probably depends on the region, cost of the wedding, and how close you are to the people.

Usually around $50

• I'm from the Midwest and it seems like around $50 is normal. That is what we got from most friends and relatives. Obviously parents, grandparents, and godparents gave more than that though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagejonnygurl76:

a good rule of thumb is that you at least cover the cost of your plates...the fancier the wedding, the more you give.  also, we give more depending on how well we know the couple or if family.  and obviously it is tacky to give more than you can afford.

$500?  For real?  Can I go back in time and invite you to my wedding!?

• Depends. For a casual friend, like a co-worker, we'll give $50ish. For a close friend or family member, we'll give closer to $100.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live in NY where giving $$ for weddings is the "main gift" and people usually give enough to cover their plate.  Around here you rarely see any gifts at weddings....I got a few gifts at  my wedding and my DH (from Brooklyn) was shocked! I told him in most other parts of the country gifts and less cash are "the norm". We got cards full of cash ranging from $100-$1500!
  • I've never given cash, but I usually spend around 50-75 on a gift.
  • I always minimally cover our plates.  If they are closer friends/family, we give more.  We live in a HCOL area and most plates are minimally just over $100.  I've given up to $400 at a wedding.  When that wedding was all said and done we spent around $1,000 - bach parties, dresses, showers, etc.  NJ weddings are out of control.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • imagechloephoebecali:
    NJ weddings are out of control.

So are NY weddings!

• imageredhotchili83:
    imagejonnygurl76:

a good rule of thumb is that you at least cover the cost of your plates...the fancier the wedding, the more you give.  also, we give more depending on how well we know the couple or if family.  and obviously it is tacky to give more than you can afford.

$500?  For real?  Can I go back in time and invite you to my wedding!?

LOL....sure!! we gave $500 to our siblings and to my best friend when she got married.  we also received this much from family members and close friends when we were married.....i guess it varies according to where you live.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • It depends.  If it's an old college friend who we see about once a year then it's $50.  If it's a close friend...$75.  A family member then it's $100.
  • Wow, I guess I'm really cheap. I'd give $20 if we didn't know the person that well and probably $50 for friends or family. We don't live in a HCOL, but all these responses make me glad I haven't given money as a gift. Stick out tongue 

FTR, the most we got at our wedding from one person was $300. Most people gave $20, a few $50s, and a couple $100s. 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• This must change drastically from region to region. Around here, $100 for a gift would probably only come from a very close relative (like brother, sister, godparent, etc.).  For my wedding/shower, my friends spent about $30, family $30-50, and only really close family members usually spend more than that. I follow about the same rule.

Granted, our weddings are HUGE, so you do get A LOT of presents.

• Thanks ladies for all of your feedback.  I live in Michigan and it seems like money is the preferred gift.  I just haven't gone to a non-family member wedding in a few years so I just wanted to make sure our gift was on target. 

I feel kind of bad because I don't think that our $100 would have covered the cost of this wedding...it was at a country club, they served filet mignon, and had a full open bar all night.  Embarrassed

• imageohbabyboy:

Thanks ladies for all of your feedback.  I live in Michigan and it seems like money is the preferred gift.  I just haven't gone to a non-family member wedding in a few years so I just wanted to make sure our gift was on target. 

I feel kind of bad because I don't think that our $100 would have covered the cost of this wedding...it was at a country club, they served filet mignon, and had a full open bar all night.  Embarrassed

It might have come close.... we're north of Chicago and had our reception at a golf course with a full top shelf open bar all night and it was $44/plate.  Not filet, but still!

• imageMamaS111:
    $100 cash or something off the registry that equals that.

Same here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • We give anywhere from $150-200.
  • $100
    TTC #2 since Jan 2010.
    Me 27 DH 31.
    Me diagnosed with Stage IV Endo Sept 2008
    Lap #1 Sept 2008, Lap #2 March 2009
    BFP May 2009, DS born Feb 2010
    Lap #3 Sept 2011
    TTC on hold while on Lupron for 6 months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker