Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

crib bumpers

OK so they say bumpers are not good on cribs due to SIDS.

But SIDS is less likely after 4 months I believe.

My LO is 4 months old and rolling in bed so bad that he bangs his head on the crib bars so I really want to put them back up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: crib bumpers

• Options
    I dont think bumpers are a sids risk, but more of a suffocation risk. When I transition DD I plan to pull bumpers out completely, but a lot of people on here reccomend breathable bumpers.....
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Actually months 4 and 5 are when babies are at the highest risk for SIDS (sorry not trying to scare you).  If you feel like you need something get a breathable bumper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesecretmemories13:
    I dont think bumpers are a sids risk, but more of a suffocation risk. When I transition DD I plan to pull bumpers out completely, but a lot of people on here reccomend breathable bumpers.....

They are both.  They are a SIDS risk because they cut off airflow in the crib. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I heard that having a ceiling fan cuts down SIDS risk by 70% because it helps circulate the air in the crib, so the baby isn't rebreathing carbon dioxide (which is what causes SIDS).  We have regular bumpers in our crib, and if DD gets too close to the sides, we see it on the video monitor and we'll move her.  She rolls over anyway and hates having anything near her face, so I'm not worried about suffocation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagesecretmemories13:

Its both. Its a suffocation risk, and a SIDS risk. Its a SIDS risk because it reduces airflow through the crib.

DD rolls all over the crib, but we still don't have the bumpers in. Its not worth the risk IMO.

• Options

imagemopsie:
    I heard that having a ceiling fan cuts down SIDS risk by 70% because it helps circulate the air in the crib, so the baby isn't rebreathing carbon dioxide (which is what causes SIDS).  We have regular bumpers in our crib, and if DD gets too close to the sides, we see it on the video monitor and we'll move her.  She rolls over anyway and hates having anything near her face, so I'm not worried about suffocation.

This is for us too ... if I'm finding she's starting to roll (which she doesn't yet - only 3 months) then we'll take them out.  But so far, all is well. If you want to put them in, then put them in ... you're the mommy! Not us.

• Options
    I use breathable bumpers and have a ceiling fan running. DD has been rolling onto her stomach since 2 1/2 months old, and sometimes I'll find her face smushed up against the bumper but its the breathable kind so I feel more secure if its in the middle of the night and I don't know this happened. Most of the time she will cry a bit b/c she's uncomfortable and then I'll move her. Breathable bumpers are cheap, you can get them at BRU.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"