School-Aged Children

Halloween plans?

Happy October! What will you and your family be doing on Halloween? I'm glad that it falls on a Sunday.

Are you going to a party or event? Hosting a party?

Do you normally get trick-or-treaters at your house? If yes, what is your favorite thing to give them?

Will your kids trick-or-treat? What age(s)?

Do you kids go to a haunted house? What age(s)? 

Will your child wear a costume? (if more than one child, share what each of them will wear)

Will you wear a costume? If yes, what will you be?

If you don't have a plan, what would be the best thing you could imagine doing as a family for Halloween?

Newlyweds since 2007

Re: Halloween plans?

• I'm trying to come up with a plan. That's why I came up with the questions. Here are my answers... though, we'll see how it comes together by the end of the month.

We might host a party. It would be kids and their parents.

What activities will you have at the party?

Don't know

Do you normally get trick-or-treaters at your house? If yes, what is your favorite thing to give them?

Yes. Lots. I always buy the good chocolate. I loved going to the homes that had my favorite candy bars, so I do the same for the kids. Some years, I buy kid's jewelry and party favors. They love that.

Yes. It's a big hit in our neighborhood. We know the majority of the neighbors. We don't knock on the doors of anyone we don't know. My daughter is 8.

No, not a big haunted house. We've been to a little one-room haunted Adventure Zone at the YMCA. It was made for little kids... but, she was still a little scared when she was 7.

Will your child wear a costume? (if more than one child, share what each of them will wear)

Yes. This year she saw a costume for "Skeleton Bride" at Party City. She wants that and a scary black and white wig. I'm not so sure. I'm hoping she picks something else.

I would like to have a fun costume. I don't have any great ideas yet.

If you don't have a plan, what would be the best thing you could imagine doing as a family for Halloween?

Newlyweds since 2007
  • We bring them trick or treating in the neighborhood.  We get at least 100 kids.  I usually go to Costco and buy those big boxes of individual chip or pretzel bags and then have a some candy to give out too.

My husband and I don't dress up.  The kids are still in their thinking stage of what they want to be.

• Loading the player...
  • imageSurfinbride:

Happy October! What will you and your family be doing on Halloween? I'm glad that it falls on a Sunday.

Are you going to a party or event? Hosting a party?  Since it's on a Sunday, we'll probably just trick-or-treat.  Our school system always ends the first grading period on 10/31, then the teachers have a work day on 11/1, which means that the kids never have school the day after Halloween, which is nice.

Do you normally get trick-or-treaters at your house? If yes, what is your favorite thing to give them?  I wish we did, but we live on a lonely stretch of rural road.  On the other hand, this allows both DH and I to go out with the kids.  We drive to a nearby neighborhood.

Will your kids trick-or-treat? What age(s)? Yes.  They're 6 and 10.

Do you kids go to a haunted house? What age(s)? No.  Both my kids hate stuff like this.  There's one house in the neighborhood that's "the spooky house" and they don't like to go to it.

Will your child wear a costume? (if more than one child, share what each of them will wear)  DS will be a knight this year; DD will be a pirate.  I love sewing costumes for them, but this year they both wanted to be more traditional stuff, so new sewing this year.

Will you wear a costume? If yes, what will you be?  DH and I do dress up sometimes, if we can think of something that works or if friends are having a party.  But this year we'll probably just wear normal clothes.

If you don't have a plan, what would be the best thing you could imagine doing as a family for Halloween?  Getting together with friends to make chili or homebrew beer with some games or activities for the kids, or maybe going to a pumpkin patch.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • imageSurfinbride:

Are you going to a party or event? Hosting a party?We usually go TOTing at a friend's neighborhood (ours isn't good for TOTing) and have dinner there beforehand.

Do you normally get trick-or-treaters at your house? If yes, what is your favorite thing to give them? Nope

Will your kids trick-or-treat? What age(s)? Yep.  3 and 5.

Do you kids go to a haunted house? What age(s)? Not yet

Will your child wear a costume? (if more than one child, share what each of them will wear) Buzz Lightyear and I'm trying to talk DD into being Tinkerbell (she wants to be Dora, but would need to wear a wig and I know she won't wear it)

Will you wear a costume? If yes, what will you be?Probably not, maybe just a Halloween tshirt.

If you don't have a plan, what would be the best thing you could imagine doing as a family for Halloween?  I think we will be doing the Zoo Boo thing this year too or maybe going to the Halloween event at one of the historical villages around here.  Probably won't be hitting up all of the school Halloween parties, though.  they are on weeknights and a little late for us.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • 1. We pumpkin carved last year with a friends family and it was a ton of fun. We all brought a homemade soup or a dessert and the kids all dressed up. My neighbors do a crazy party where they invite all the kids in their class and pumpkin carve and throw candy in hay and pretty much go nuts. After trick-or-treating we go to a friends street who's neighbors give good candy and then do hot dogs/hamburgers

2. not at all. We've been here 6 years and hardly get any. Now the kids are old we go to other neighborhoods.

3. yes but our town does a huge trick or treat on Main St. were they close off 4 streets worth of business and the kids go around there. It is AWESOME! They are 5 and 7 but have been doing it since Logan was 3

4. no way

5. Yes Logan wants to be a Dr. and Liam wants to be Yoshi from Super Mario

6. no 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you going to a party or event? Hosting a party? We invite family over for a dinner (chili and corn muffins plus pumpkin pie) and treak or treating.  When the kids are asleep we watch movies and just hang out.

Do you normally get trick-or-treaters at your house? If yes, what is your favorite thing to give them? We get a lot of kids.  I pass out dum dums and smarties because they're very allergy friendly.

Will your kids trick-or-treat? What age(s)? Yes, they are 9, 6, and 4

Do you kids go to a haunted house? What age(s)? No

Will your child wear a costume? (if more than one child, share what each of them will wear) Yes, we haven't picked out costumes yet.

Will you wear a costume? If yes, what will you be? I wear a witch hat or kitty ears while passing out candy.

• imageSurfinbride:

We have several events throughout the week.  The Thursday night before Halloween we go to a friend's for a carving party.  They decorate the garage and have all the items needed.  One of my friends will be roasting a stew right in the pumpkin!

Saturday is always "adult" night where we meet, have some cocktails and go around to all the small town taverns and enter the costume contests.  Always lots of outrageous stuff and NO KIDS!

What activities will you have at the party?

See above

Not as many as we used to but we're usually out with our daughter anyway. We live in the oldest section our our small town where the houses are farthur apart, no sidewalks and not many street lights so the kids tend to stay over in "new town".   I buy tons of the "good stuff" though and we nibble on it too! 

Yes. It's a big deal in our town.  EVERYONE is out including the grown ups having some cocktails and firepits roaring in the driveways.  Halloween...it's not just for kids anymore!  My daughter is 8 and will be going block by block by herself (well, with friends) for the first time.

NO!  I'd love to but we took our daughter 2 years ago I think, and she freaked.  It will be awhile (if ever) that we get to go back.

Yes, she chose a devil costume and thus that is what the rest of the family will be too; mom, dad and even our dachsund!

Yes, family time costume we are all devils.  This is my adult costume for the party;

• #6#6 member

Happy October to you as well!  I LOVE THIS MONTH!!! :)

1.  Last year I did a Halloween Eve family dinner.  I made all sorts of spooky foods for dinner, did a small craft, decorated the LR, and had some yummy halloween treats.  We will be doing our 2nd annual Halloween eve dinner.  I would like to start inviting the kids friends (1 each) once they get a tad older.  

2.  When we were home to give out treats I liked to do anything non candy.  Sticker sheets, play dough, small toys, pencils, etc.  

3.  Yes my kids are going to trick or treat.  They love it!  L is 5 and K&K are 4.

4.  We have not been to a haunted house with them.  There is one house that decorates the outside outrageous and the kids are scared of it.  We always walk by it but they are afraid to stop. :)   They do such a good job decorating each year.

5. L will be a Skeleton, Ken will be a witch, Kay will be a black cat.  My sister and I dress up with them.  I am going to be a pumpkin or a vampire and she is going to be a ghost.  Dh may dress up and Im trying to talk my mom into it as well.  :)  We all go trick or treating together.  (my sister doesnt have any kids)

6.  Oh...already answered that in #5.  

7.  We are also spending the rest of the month going to the pumpkin farm, making our costumes, baking yummy fall treats, taking drives/walks to see the pretty leaves and trees in the mountains.  (we live in Southwest Va and its beautiful this time of year)  All of this fun leads up to the big night of our dinner followed by another fun night of trick or treating.  Halloween is deff.  MUCH better and more fun with kids!!    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"