2nd Trimester

Overweight and pregnant

Hi ladies!

I was curious if any of you are in the same boat as me.  I am overweight, about 5'4" and 220 pounds.  I am told that I carry my weight very well, but that doesn't make me feel better.  I am newly pregnant, and reading all over the place that because of my weight I won't show until much later, possibly not even until 7 months.  Can anyone overweight tell me when they started to show?  I have always wanted to be a cute pregnant woman with a cute belly!  ;-)  I'm just happy to be pregnant and want nothing more than a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!!  Thanks for any input to ease my mind!!

Re: Overweight and pregnant

• Fwiw, I'm 5'7 and 240 pounds. I don't know if it's how I carry my weight or what but with the bloat and start of the baby belly, I am "showing."
    "I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time." - Calvin and Hobbes <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
  • Everyone is different. I think shorter women may start to show earlier. I am almost 5'9" and a 20/22 pre-pregnancy. I am just barely starting to show. To a stranger, I may not even look pregnant. I am hoping to "pop" soon, but most of my plus size friends said it wasnt until the 3rd trimester. I have also only gained 2 pounds thus far which may have something to do with it. Good luck and remember all that matters is your baby is healthy!
    DX: Unexplained IF/possible PCOS 5/5/2010 Surprise BFP! After 2 miscarriages and many prayers, our angel is here:) Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, and I started feeling movement at 18 weeks, and definite movement by 22 weeks. Now I see my belly roll all over when she is active.
    DX: Unexplained IF/possible PCOS 5/5/2010 Surprise BFP! After 2 miscarriages and many prayers, our angel is here:) Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am the same height as you but weighed 210 at the beginning.I lost 12lbs and so far havent gained any weight with this pregnancy but I am starting to show.I am 23wks today.It just all depends on your body and how the baby grows.My LO seems to be growing rapidly and I believe thats why I'm sporting my bump already.
  • I have been overweight for all my pregnancies and for my first I was all belly, for my second I could go right up until labour and not "show"  Now with this one I am 23 weeks and am all belly again.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • do not stress it too much.  I am 22weeks and while it is not always obvious I am pregnant there are times you can definately tell I have a bump.  I do not feel major kicks yet but I can feel flips/flops and wiggles. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLoveMyPuppies:

Hi ladies!

I was curious if any of you are in the same boat as me.  I am overweight, about 5'4" and 220 pounds.  I am told that I carry my weight very well, but that doesn't make me feel better.  I am newly pregnant, and reading all over the place that because of my weight I won't show until much later, possibly not even until 7 months.  Can anyone overweight tell me when they started to show?  I have always wanted to be a cute pregnant woman with a cute belly!  ;-)  I'm just happy to be pregnant and want nothing more than a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby!!  Thanks for any input to ease my mind!!

It sounds like you and I could have the exact same body!  I'm 5'3" and weigh the same.  I too am dtold "i carry my weight well".  I'm 15 weeks and just yesterday, someone told me they could see my bump...below my belly button.  I can also feel my tummy stretching and that I might "pop" in the next 2 or 3 weeks.  I started feeling baby movements this week.  It's just a little rolling sensation but I definitely feel him.  Don't worry, I bet you'll be cute and pregnant in no time.  Besides....just go buy some cute empire wasted stuff and you'll look pregnant with or without the bump!  H&H 9 months to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Im a little shorter and weigh a little more Sad . 19 weeks along and I just look like my fat non pregnant self. Ive lost 6ish pounds since finding out. I do feel like my belly is getting harder, if you push hard enough hehe.
  • I am 15 weeks pregnant and didn't think I would show until later but the lsat week I have really popped. There is a big difference since 8 weeks and actually got several stranger comments today about my pregnancy. BTW: I have only gained 1.5 pounds and am 5'5 and 200lbs
  • imagekdodge423:

I'm about the same height and weight pre pregnancy. I popped around 16 weeks, but it varies for everyone. Some skinny women really don't show until 3rd trimester either.

Ditto this, especially the bolded. I was average weight pre-PG and had a pretty flat stomach for the most part. I'm still not showing. I'm also pretty tall (5'10") with a long torso, which I hear causes you to show later since there is more room in your abdomen.

It's different for everyone. Rest assured, you will show eventually. Everyone does.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am 5'7" and 230 pounds. I have gained 2 pounds so far in this pregnancy. I have a small bump at this point, which I noticed once the bloat finally disappeared :) However, I am still in my regular jeans (which are getting tighter but are still wearable -- they started out fairly loose to begin with). I see the bump when I am naked and when I wear certain shirts -- my belly is reasonably flat, and this bump is below the belly button. I have no reason to think I won't "pop" in the next several weeks. However, I can see that if you are the body type that carries a lot of weight in the belly, it might take longer. Most of my weight is in my hips and then also in my boobs and arms.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My sister is the same size as you and she did not show until late in pregnancy, maybe 6 months or so. 
  • With my first, it was well past 20 weeks - by the 3rd trimester I had a small bump.  This time around I am JUST starting to show at 16 weeks - by that I mean, people who know me can see the change, but everyone else probably can't
  • Everyone shows differently. I think people are less likely to ask someone who's overweight just in case they are wrong, you know? My friend is quite overweight and people who knew her could definitely tell by 6 months but strangers probably wouldn't assume. Unless someone is a twig with a big round belly I pretty never assume.

That being said, I'm small and short and still didn't have a single stranger make a comment until 6 months. I still could have been just a thicker waisted smaller person and I don't think people want to risk getting it wrong. I'm 5'2" and pp about 110-115 and I'm entering the third tri but I have it on good authority (my students) that some of their parents were wondering as late as last week but weren't sure. So, yeah, it all depends. I think I look pretty PG but strangers still can't always tell for sure.

• It sort of depends what you mean by "showing." I can already easily tell a difference in the shape of my body and would consider myself to be showing. DH agrees. But like PP said, I'm just at a point where people don't want to risk asking if I'm pregnant because I might just have gained some weight. I was also overweight pre-pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am overweight, and I have actually been losing weight due to all the HcG in my system.  I'm 14 weeks now, and although I have an enlarged uterus, I don't think people will actually see a difference for a VERY long time still.  I can definitely feel a difference, my stomach is getting very hard compared to squishy, but that's the only difference I've noticed.  I know I'm still very early on, but just some of what my dr told me and what I think will happen!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • you sound very similar to a friend of mine. she is about 7.5mos right now and you can tell that she is PG but sh didn't show until much later and she doe not feel this baby (her 2nd) as much but that is due to an anterior placenta. she did feel her first no problem though.
  • I'm the same height and I started out at 195. I am 18w and I am showing now, my bump really popped in the last few days and I can't hide my belly with loose shirts anymore. I also feel the baby move at least once a day and that has been happening for the past week. I really did not expect to feel movement until 20+ weeks because of my weight but I was pleasantly surprised.

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekdodge423:

I'm about the same height and weight pre pregnancy. I popped around 16 weeks, but it varies for everyone. Some skinny women really don't show until 3rd trimester either. Those that know me can tell the difference, those that don't might just see me as a fatass that has one hell of a gut (I've seen girls at the bars doing shots with bigger guts than I have, so it can be hard to tell sometimes).

I think you look pregnant now based on your most recent pics.

OP, I'm 5'8 and was wearing a size 14,16, 18 (depending on the clothing item) pre-pregnancy. I am just starting to feel a hard bump in my lower abdomen when I lay down. I am hoping to start showing (not just looking like I gained extra belly chub) in the next few weeks.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I'm 5'11, and weighed 305lbs when I got pregnant.  It always baffled people that I weighed that much, because I never looked it.  People would always guess about 200.  I even had a woman who weighed 190 lbs tell me she wished she was my size.  When I told her, her jaw hit the floor.  I was a size 20.

I now weigh 296 lbs (thanks, MS!) and I'm already showing at 16 weeks.  I have a more rounded belly.  I think people are still afraid to ask me, because I was always big around the middle, but everyone who knows me says it's definitely "popped."

I wish I was tiny and could have a cute little bowling ball belly, but I'm coming to terms with it.  Every pregnancy is different...every woman has a different body.

• I am 5'5 and weighed 240 when I found out I was pregnant. Now I am 25 weeks and still weigh 240.

Started showing around 20 weeks. If I wear a baggy shirt I just look like I have a big gut. But when I wear fitted maternity shirts I look very pregnant.

I fellt Vinnie moving at 21 weeks and continuously ever since.

• I am 5'11" and was 280 at the start of the pregnancy. I just "popped" this week (even though I just see belly fat and everyone else sees baby) and feel a little bit of baby (or so I think... It's a different, tingly sensation then I've had before) for the past few days. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"