Working Moms

now what - part time plan not working out!

I'm so disappointed. Before I left on maternity leave, I had discussed the possibility of going part time. My boss made it sound like a possibility and I have been planning on doing it. For me, I really didn't want to be full time, but didn't want to sah either. It was the perfect balance for me. Plus, I love my job and work for a great company. I didn't want to give that up.  I knew all along that there was a chance that it wouldn't happen, but I was confident that they would let me, considering that I was part-time there when I first started and only went full time a couple years ago. 

Well, my confidence got the best of me. They turned me down. And stupid me now has to deal with the consequences. I hired a nanny already for my part time hours. Now I have to figure out how to get the other two days covered! I don't really want two different nannies. I love the nanny we hired so far.  I am praying that she wants to take on the job full time.

I know it's my fault for not getting this in stone before I left, but I hadn't totally decided at the time and wanted to leave my options open.

So, I guess I'm going to give full time with twins a try. I should just be happy to have a job when so many people would give anything for one.

Just had to get that all out. Thanks for reading this far! Any words of encouragement appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: now what - part time plan not working out!

• Well, I hope your nanny will be able to do full time. Working full time with a baby at home is definitely busy, and I'm sure having twins at home adds a lot to the mix, but you can do it!
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • FWIW - i work part time (job share) and work is 100x's more stressful to me now... b/c i'm always feeling like i'm behind on the days I am working - and there is no way to get any work done on days I am home with the kids... so it all builds up.  I might work part time hours- but still need to do full time emails, phone messages, admin work, etc.... so it's harder to squeeze it all in and I find myself MUCH more stressed then I was when I was full time.. granted, i only had one child then- but it's not my kids stressing me out- it's work.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry your plan didn't work out.  I was sure that there was no way I could work full time with twins.  After the initial adjustment it was all ok.  It may seem crazy but working full time and being a mom of twins each gave me a break from the other.  

Hang in there! 

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Another twin mom, here. You can do it!
  • Sorry it's not working out like you wanted.

I have mostly worked p/t since DD was born (I did SAH this past summer). I have to say that p/t is a lot more stressful than I thought it would be. Like pp said, the job stress is still f/t and there's always the little things piling up. I can definitely see pros to working f/t in terms of stress.

- Jena
  • I can almost guarantee you that your work days will be easier than your at home days. :)

Sorry it didn't pan out like you were hoping, but know you can make it work.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do you have a family member close by that could cover a day or two a week?  That's what my sister did in a similar situation...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"