Special Needs

I know this might sound silly so please dont laugh or flame.....Im still new to this....

Ok so since we got the DX of seizures I am going crazy! I am so afraid to let her get sick, I am scared to let her get too hot, and I will not let anyone watch DD2 unless they have read all the info I have provided for them about seizures. I feel like as I am typing this out that I am OCD!

But really I just worry so much about her I am afraid that I am making her live in a bubble you know. No one belived me when I told them exceot the DR and he was great and got her tested right away but everyone else made fun of me making me feel like I over react to things too fast. I know I have really bad anxiety and panic attacks but I know something was wrong and went with my gut!

Really am I over reacting? Should I really worry this much or am I being stupid? please dont flame me this is why I have not posted in so long because everyone else except Dh and the dr. make fun of me.Oh yeah I also have this fear that she will have one and no one will notice it or even tell me about it because they will think its not a big deal and to me it is!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I know this might sound silly so please dont laugh or flame.....Im still new to this....

• *I* don't think you are being silly at all - I would be the exact same way!

My DD was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder a little over a month ago, and I am hesitant to leave her with anyone other than close family or friends. For example, my gym (when I find the time to GO there) has a babysitting service...but I don't feel comfortable just yet leaving her there because there's always a chance the babysitters aren't familiar with ASD enough to be compassionate to her needs.

Whatever diagnosis your child has, you are that child's mom first and foremost. Special needs parents have a myriad of factors that they can't control, so we need some sort of comfort in knowing we have "proofed and prepped" our environment and the people in it enough for it to be safe for our babies.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I think it's pretty normal. I have a secret fear that others won't notice DS having a seizure, too. I don't go to my gym because I am not comfortable leaving him in their childcare, either.

I have gotten more relaxed the longer his seizures have been controlled, but I still get paranoid. I think most moms would.

I think it's crummy that people who care about you are making fun of you for being worried. Epilepsy is a scary thing.

Hugs to you. 

• Loading the player...
  • I think its a scary thing too. But what really makes me go crazy is that DD1 is now in school and I am so scared that she is gonna get sick and have a really bad one you know!
  • You sound completely normal to me.  This is a big thing that has come into your life.  It'll take a little time for things to feel safe and normal again.  But if things are getting to be too hard for you, a therapist might help.  Talking to someone helps me. 

• My ds has asd, not seizures, but I can relate. At first it can be really hard to trust anyone with your child. I had a lot of anxiety over everything, including this, and the only thing that helped was time, running and Lexapro. I feel together again. The bottom line is, what you are feeling is normal, but at some point you are going to have to learn to just "trust," otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
  • You are being a mother, not silly at all. I know exactly how you feel. My DD also has a seizure disorder, for us it all started in march of this year, and I have yet to leave her with anyone other than DH.  We have the same fear of no one noticing her seizure start, because many have been complex partials, and just started off with staring, and a blank look. 

It is scary, and I certainly would not leave DD with anyone unless I was sure they knew proper seizure first aid, what to do, and how & when to give Diastat if necessary or when to cal 911.

The fact of the matter is you are going to worry, she is your baby. The main thing is, you need an outlet, a hobby, even just 20 minutes each night that is your own.  Find a way to channel the nervous energy into something positive. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"