Working Moms
Options

Give a mouse a cookie...

I have a bowl on my desk that I, on infrequent occasion (having learned my lesson about filling others with expectations of a candy subsidiary on my dime), fill with candy.  I tend to fill it with things my assistant likes and/or I like.  I don't mind other people taking some as it's not like most people are coming in to take by the handful.  I'm happy to hand out an occasional afternoon treat to many but not a lunch replacement to few.  

Apparently except when I'm gone.  My assistant told me that whenever I work from home, she opens my office so she can get some light (per our arrangement).  She says that there are many people who go into my office for candy when I am not there that don't when I am there.  Fine -- I get that I can intimidate some people.  But what irritates me is that some of those that do so will do the hand grab and come out with multiple pieces.  And we're talking the fun-size candy bars, not even the minis.  I inevitably come back to a decimated bowl.  

Today, one of those particular offenders asked my assistant "oh, is Pesky out of the office today?  I'm going to go get some candy then!"  Then after coming out with 3 Nestle Crunch bars (those were all that were left in the bowl and I would guess those were the last ones at all) asks her "do you know if Pesky is going to refill her bowl with more goodies?"

Uh, no.  But thanks for the unreasonable expectation.

Give a mouse a cookie... 

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Give a mouse a cookie...

• Options
    We have a few people who consistently bring stuff to the office. And a few moochers.  It can get annoying.
  • Options
    SO irritating.  Do you have  credenza or room in a file drawer where your assistant could stash the candy bowl when you're out?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagePesky:

I have a bowl on my desk that I, on infrequent occasion (having learned my lesson about filling others with expectations of a candy subsidiary on my dime), fill with candy.  I tend to fill it with things my assistant likes and/or I like.  I don't mind other people taking some as it's not like most people are coming in to take by the handful.  I'm happy to hand out an occasional afternoon treat to many but not a lunch replacement to few.  

Apparently except when I'm gone.  My assistant told me that whenever I work from home, she opens my office so she can get some light (per our arrangement).  She says that there are many people who go into my office for candy when I am not there that don't when I am there.  Fine -- I get that I can intimidate some people.  But what irritates me is that some of those that do so will do the hand grab and come out with multiple pieces.  And we're talking the fun-size candy bars, not even the minis.  I inevitably come back to a decimated bowl.  

Today, one of those particular offenders asked my assistant "oh, is Pesky out of the office today?  I'm going to go get some candy then!"  Then after coming out with 3 Nestle Crunch bars (those were all that were left in the bowl and I would guess those were the last ones at all) asks her "do you know if Pesky is going to refill her bowl with more goodies?"

Uh, no.  But thanks for the unreasonable expectation.

Give a mouse a cookie... 

That's when you have her respond "No, I don't, but I'm sure she'd be OK if you decided to have a turn."

• Options

We have a few candy bowls place strategically around the office, but they are ALWAYS couples with a change jar. If you take candy, you are expected to leave some change so the candy can be refilled.

Alternatively, hide the bowl when you're out, or encourage people to swap candy duty with you.

• Options
    If there is candy on my desk I usually eat it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"