Adoption

Salmonella from Similac

My 6 1/2 month old foster baby has Similac from consuming recalled Similac. At my request, his Pedi took a stool sample and had it tested. It came back loaded with bacteria including Salmonella. I think this recall is more serious than they've lead everyone to believe...

Re: Salmonella from Similac

• Hi - Have you reported this to the manufacturer yet?  This is the product complaint number, (800) 227-5767.   They are open 8am-5pm EST M-F, please consider reporting this to them so they can investigate.  Did your pedi test the formula by any chance?

If your baby is consuming any solids, there have been a lot of recalls with samonella around that in recent months and years, so you'll want to make sure to rule that out as well.  The big, more recent recalls have been eggs, lettuce/spinach, tomatoes, and green onions.

I hope your foster baby is okay.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I am sorry for you and the LO.  I had Salmonella as a baby and my mom still refers to that as the "dark period".  It is so dangerous in LO and the elderly.  I thought the Similac thing was just beetles in the formula, which sounds awful, but is really not so bad, certainly not the same as Salmonella, which can be deadly to some populations.  I personally know an older person (60's) who died of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • The Baby just started baby food vegetables after his 6mth checkup. He definitely got the Salmonella from the Similac. I bought the formula in bulk a couple of months ago, but thankfully held onto the canisters after he finished consuming the formula, so I was able to verify that they were on the recall list.

Similac waited a long time to recall this formula. A manufacturing plant that allows formula to be contaminated with beetles and larvae obviously is "operating" under unsanitary conditions.

• Again, please report the incident to the manufacturer.  Posting it only on a message board doesn't help the manufacturer investigate the issue and possibly expand the recall.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I did report it, what makes you think I didn't? Your post seems a little defensive...why?

I am merely sharing what happened to my FS, and to let others know that they might consider asking their Pediatrican to do a stool sample if their child consumed formula on the recall list.  

• My Grand Daughter was born September 24th 2010 and was scheduled to go home on the 26th but due to blood in her stool was transferred to a children?s hospital into the NICU. After further testing they determined she had Salmonella. The original hospital where she was born (Methodist West in West Des Moines Iowa) had been giving her Similac Advanced Premix formula. The formula has to be how she contracted Salmonella as the mother was not breast feeding do to some medications she was taking. After a week in the NICU she was able to go home and is doing well now. I did report this to the manufacturer and they gave me a call back two weeks later and offered free coupons but also wanted further info on how the hospital treated her for the Salmonella etc...... When I told the manufacturer about how I had read in the news about how the recalled formula may cause Salmonella she stated that it was impossible for babies to get Salmonella from Similac and it couldnt have come from the formula.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"