Working Moms
Options

DH may lose his job

Not really sure where to post this but here goes

DH finds out next month if he will be part of a layoff in his dept. He makes really good money and we're a little worried about him finding comparable work, but I think we will be ok paying the bills with his severence, unemployment, and esavings. What I am most worried about is health insurance. For me to take out a family plan from my employer we'd have to pay about $1000 just for a basic HMO, that's over getting close to half my paycheck! I can take out a plan just for myself for nothing though. Does anyone know anything about temp health insurance for the unemployed? I have heard Cobra is just as expensive as my company's plan.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH may lose his job

• Options

Keep in mind that the government is subsidizing Cobra payments right now at 60% so it actually may be an afforable route than with your company.

It is a bummer but you just have to hang in there and not panic.

• Options
    imagecarrie4g:

Keep in mind that the government is subsidizing Cobra payments right now at 60% so it actually may be an afforable route than with your company.

It is a bummer but you just have to hang in there and not panic.

I didn't know that, I'm not really great with understanding all the insurance premiums/unemployment benefits. We've been lucky enough not to have to worry about. We're trying to be positive. If he is laid off he would still be covered until the end of the year so we have a couple months to figure things out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Bummer. I think you might be able to get some assistance with the Cobra though....

ETA: I guess someone already beat me to it...

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options
    COBRA Assistance actually ended. For newly eligible, the govt is no longer subsidizing 65%. 
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DH got laid off while I was pregnant.  Cobra is rip off even with the 50% off deal.  My company pays 100% of my benefits and I got a separate insurance policy for Keira.  It is a $100.00 a month but with a $1500 deductible.  I pay $30 for doctor visits and that is it.  Keira's plan is through Aetna.
  • Options
    I feel your pain. My DH was laid off when I was 7 weeks pregnant, and is STILL looking for a job. Getting healthcare through my job sucked, but not as badly as I had thought. First of all, it is pretax $, so it's less of a hit to your paycheck than you might think. And between unemployment benefits, and learning to do with less, you get by. Plus, if you have DH watch LO while he's at home, your childcare costs get eliminated. You'll be ok. "Tough times don't last, but tough people do." HTH.
  • Options

imagesunrae719:
    COBRA Assistance actually ended. For newly eligible, the govt is no longer subsidizing 65%. 

This, unfortunately (I think it ended in Sept.). I was laid off in Jan. at 8 months pregnant (and carried the policy for our family). Luckily, we met the Cobra SRA qualifications (had to be laid off by a certain date, husband's company did NOT offer family health insurance). Our Cobra would have been $1200/mo; instead, I paid $427/mo ($3/mo less than what I had been paying when I worked!). I also took a job offer a few weeks ago, thankfully.

If you can get free coverage, check into Cobra for just your DH and DD, and see if you can price out plans directly from health insurance. In the meantime, get on the waiting list for your state's CHiP program for your DD (I believe there is a 6-mo wait before you can get on it), and maybe you can get DH something cheap?

Best of luck that your DH is not laid off!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Florida has something called Florida Kid Care. It's insurance for your children up to 18 or 21. Payments are based on your income. You could look at the Department of Children and Families in your state and see if they have something similar. 

GL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"