Two Under 2

3+ advice

The 3 carseat post got me thinking about having a third. I have two under two now (they are 13 mo apart) and I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown during the first 4 months! I was dealing with untreated PPD from DD#1, dealing with two babies and then finally the clouds parted (I got help for the PPD) and I am LOVING having two so close together.

Now, I'm wondering should I mess with a good thing and add a 3rd? OR should I wait?

How have all of you with 3 handled having a 3rd???

Re: 3+ advice

• I'm not sure how old your kids are right now, but I can tell you that if you had a lot of trouble with the 2 in the beginning, the 3 isn't any easier at all.

I had a MUCH harder time going from 2-3. You and your DH are outnumbered. You go from "man to man" to "zone defense". You can't just each take one kid because there's a third to be watched as well. My friends with 3 (or more) say the same thing. After 3 kids though, they all tell me it doesn't make a difference since you're already outnumbered.

The first year with 3 was also really rough on our marriage. We have no help around here, I'm a SAHM, and I EBF and my kids don't take bottles. Not to mention that I am 3 for 3 on bad sleepers.

I had bad PPD after my 3rd. I'm sure I had it after my first and second, but it went undiagnosed. 

All that being said, it has gotten easier after my 3rd turned 1.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Thanks for the heads up. I love hearing the truth and not all the fluff ; )

Your girls are adorable by the way--they look a lot like my own. My girls are 26 months and 13 months now,so I think I may wait until at least one is in school!

• Loading the player...
  • I'mheaded toward 3u3 right now come end of December.

The transition from 1-2 wasn't bad for us. At all. We got lucky. They are 13 months apart.

DS had been a horrible sleeper (didn't STTN until almost 12 months) but DD started STTN @ 6 weeks and is the most laid back kid ever. I'm praying that #3 is the same as DD. I don't think we are done having LO's though, but we will be taking a several year break after #3 :)

• I found it easier than I thought it would be.  But maybe because my boys are further apart (22 months & 21 months).  #3 just was so easy too!  It's getting easier in a lot of ways now that he is 1, but also harder since he is constantly on the move trying to keep up with his brothers but can't do as much yet. 

As long as you realize sleep is overrated ; ) someone is always bound to be up!

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • This is my second time doing the two under two.  My son will be 4 in january and my daughter will be 2 in november.  My newest is 5wks old.  I have to say that going from 2-3 has been SOOO much easier than 1-2.  I remember not leaving the house by myself with my first two until at least two months after my daughter was born.  Now I have to get out of the house, it keeps me sane and my kids busy.  As they have gotten older it has gotten much easier, my son is now in pre-school and my daughter will start next year. 

We are so blessed and we would do it all over again!  I too am a SAHM with no help during the day.  We have some pretty crazy days and a lot more really great days!  Good luck with your decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"