Trouble TTC

XP:Waiting for fertility meds?

I posted this on TTGP, but thought I would post here too.

I had my pre conception appt today, and expected to be put on Clomid or something similar. I was dx'd with PCOS about a year ago, and stopped taking BCP last month. 

Basically, my OB told me that we have to try for 12 months before I will be put on any fertility drugs/treatments. I was a little confused because I didn't get my period on my own before BC, and who knows if I will get it at all within these next 12 months.

Is this normal to wait the 12 months even though I was diagnosed with an infertility problem already? 

I really love my OB, and would hate for her to know that I got a second opinion...any advice is appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP:Waiting for fertility meds?

• My OB wanted me to wait 6 months after stopping BCP's.  (I hadn't been disgnosed with PCOS yet as he did no testing).  After 3 months of BCP and I hadn't had a period he gave me Provera and Clomid.  I wasn't monitored and I didn't ovulate on Clomid. 

I then went to an RE (and was diagnosed w/ PCOS) and wish I would have done it from the beginning.  I wasted 6 months.  I would say ask for a referral for an RE if you need one.  My insurance didn't require a referral so I just made an appt and stopped seeing my OB.  Good luck!

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's a tough decision, especially since you just stopped BC.  It can take your body up to 12 months to regulate after the pill.  I have a close friend that conceived twice on her own and she has PCOS.  If I were you, I would probably wait at least a few months and then make an appointment with an RE.  You can check with your insurance, you may not even need a referral.  Good luck with your decision :)

TTC #1 Since 9/09
    Dx - Stage IV Endo
    7/6/10 : Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + b2b IUI + Crinone = BFN
    8/4/10 : Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + b2b IUI + Crinone = BFN
    8/31/10 : Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = BFN
    9/28/10 : 75 IU Gonal F (Days 3-9) + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = BFN
    10/24/10: 75 IU Gonal F (Days 3-10) + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = BFN
    11/20/10: 150 IU Gonal F (Days 3-7) + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = BFN
    January 2011: Laparoscopy found Stage IV Endo
    March 2011: Second Lap to remove Endo
    Moving on to IVF August/September 2011
    ~SAIF/PAIF always welcome~
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like my situation. After not getting my period after 5 month off of BCP, I saw my OB and she put me on provera/clomid. After 3 cycles she referred me to an RE. If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited for AF for 3 months and then dicussed with my OB getting referred to an RE for monitoring on clomid.

It's true that it could take a while for your body to adjust to coming off BCP, but since it seemed like my body went back to its previous state (not getting AF) it made sense to me to be more aggressive about ttc.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was very irregular before BC but always thought it was maybe just cause I was so young.  When we decided to TTC I got AF my 1st 2 cycles off BC but then nothing for 5mos.  We tried provera to kickstart my cycles w/ no AF but no luck.  I was very impatient to wait much longer since I knew I had a history of irregular cycles; at my request my ob/gyn did testing & I was diagnosed w/ PCOS.  He put me on provera/clomid (50mg) and I O'd my 1st cycle.  I got pregnant on my 3rd cycle of clomid (no monitoring).  I know it's an unpopular opinion to be unmonitored on clomid, but it did work for me.  I know the general rule of thumb is to try for a year, but my ob/gyn could tell that wasn't going to work for me. 

I'd say give it a few months to see what your body does on its own & to let it kind of get on its own rythm, but I don't see why you need to wait a whole year given your PCOS.  If nothing is going on after 3mos, I would talk to your ob/gyn again, really express your concerns/thoughts & hopefully she will be accomodating.    

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"