February 2011 Moms

Will you be doing cord blood banking?

I havent done much research on it, and was wondering if there's many of you who are doing this. If you are, what was your #1 reason for doing it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Will you be doing cord blood banking?

• No.  I understand the benefit but don't think it is something for us. 
  • Nope.  I decided that because we're a common ethic group with common bloodtypes, a blood bank/donor bank would likely have a match.  I didn't think it was worth the money because of that.  I would have spent the money if our types were more uncommon or if we had a family history if childhood illness, etc.

We're doing delayed cord cutting.  I want the baby to get all their own cordblood right after delivery.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Loading the player...
  • No.  It's so expensive!

A friend of mine mentioned that you can donate your cord blood, and then if you do need cord blood at some point for a child, the bank will give you back your own cord blood if they still have it available.  It seems like a good (free) alternative to paying to bank it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Did it with my daughter, and will do it again.  If a couple thousands of dollars can possibly save my child then even if it is never used and wasted it was still worth it for me. It is pricey and you may never use it (hopefully you never do), but for piece of mind it is priceless.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • I am not doing this, but I did some reading on it, and it should strongly be considered for mixed race couples having a baby, because if something were to happen to the child it would be more difficult to find a match.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • not unless I win the lottery.
  • Too expensive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmmm.... i'm interested in hearing more about the mix race theory. my baby will be half white, half mexican. does that mean we could possibly have a more difficult time finding a match?

i went back and forth with paying for cord blood banking. in the end i decided i'd rather put that money in a college fund. 

• I wanted to donate not bank, so as to help someone else, but my hospital doesn't do it.  My OB also told me that there is plenty of supply for my ethnic group and there was no point in donating.

• imageLucky_Dragonfly:
    not unless I win the lottery.

Something like this. :)  I haven't done much research on it, but I'm relieved to read via you ladies that it's less of an issue in caucasian babies with common blood types.

imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepatiencesarah:

hmmm.... i'm interested in hearing more about the mix race theory. my baby will be half white, half mexican. does that mean we could possibly have a more difficult time finding a match?

i went back and forth with paying for cord blood banking. in the end i decided i'd rather put that money in a college fund. 

Ditto- this is the first I heard that and it is a concern since DH is Vietnamese and I'm White.  My plan was to simply donate it.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageLucky_Dragonfly:
    not unless I win the lottery.

Same here! 

• I am donating
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic For Bryce Addison and all of heaven's smallest angels Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Too expensive. Ill be donating it as i did with my first dd.
  • nope, but we are donating it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would like to donate, and I know my hospital does it.  I haven't discussed it with my OB yet, though.
  • I would absolutely love to, but it just isn't in the cards for us financially. Cancer runs rampant through my husbands side of the family. I worry about this all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"