Special Needs

Why is it always so difficult?

So, first it was busing, then last week I was having communication log issues and now I'm having issues getting Trev mainstreamed for one academic course per his IEP. Our 2nd experience with his current school is proving to be just as difficult. I don't understand why there is no plan in place for Trevor to transition into the inclusion classroom. They've known about this since May and the SLP who is working with him has been part of the TEAM since he entered pre-k at 3. Thank goodness for our advocate.

ok, vent over 

Re: Why is it always so difficult?

• image-auntie-:

I get that this is frustrating but...

This is one thing you want the school to finesse perfectly. Some thoughts.

Yeah, they've known about your son since May. But they may not know what class is best for Trevor in terms of bridging to mainstream. He's been in their class for, oh 3 1/2 weeks now, they're just now getting a feel for who he is as a student which can be very different from who he is 1:1 with an indulent SLP who knows him well. They may even have a timetable where they allow students to transition after the first marking period, so you may be stressing over something for which there is already a timetable.

This is one of those you only get a single chance to make a first impression situations. You want the teachers to choose the best setting for Trev to interact with other kids. In a lot of programs, the knee jerk is to mainstream into a special. Unfortunately, this lack of structure, sensory profile or motor skills needed to be successful for some kids with issues is too great for them. This means that in the eyes of his peers he's not only that kid from the special class, he's that kid who can't sit still in library, cries in music or can't kick a ball. You want them to set him up to be successful.

Totally get what you are saying, but do you think it is reasonable for them to atleast let me in on their "plan." That alone would make me happy; at least I would know that they are working on it, but instead I just get the SLPs inntials to my question of "Have you worked out a plan for Trev to go into the mainstream?" A simple we're working on it. Will start soon, would have made me happy. You have to understand the school structure as well; it is a pod school with a mixture of Montesorie and traditional classrooms. The school is level 4, so 20% of the former staff was laid off. It's a mess over there! Hopefully I'll get a response from them today.

• image-auntie-:

Here's the thing. These people are stressed. And you are in the very difficult position of having to advocate effectively for your son without becoming that mom. And that's a difficult situation for anyone, but most especially for someone new to the Sped process.

Some thoughts.

I am wondering if most of your questions are actually in the IEP you signed. Your son's IEP should outline exactly what percentage of each day is spent in a special education setting and what percent is spent in the mainstream. If he takes lunch and recess with the rest of the mainstream, those would count toward his non-Sped/mainstream totals, btw.

You might also look for information regarding the plan to transition to mainstream under the goals section of his IEP. They may be spelled out there as well. Again, as part of the IEP team, you would have been present when this was discussed and then signed off on it.

I can appreciate that you are comfortable with the SLP, but it's probably not her call to make regarding bridging to mainstream. That is going to more likely be decided by his lead teacher or IEP custodian. And they may want to get a better feel for where he'll be most successful. They may even be planning to bridge in a pair so that your son has another student from his SDC with whom he is comfortable as a companion. They may be waiting for the mainstream classes to settle or to get to know the other teachers before placing Trevor. Montessori is often an abysmal fit for kids who need overt structure or ideal for experiential learners.

Is he enjoying school? Do you see any behavioral issues that alarm you? Has he picked up any new skills?

Thanks yet again.  I will revisit his IEP tonight. We had to fight for him to be in at least one mainstream academic class. Technically, his expressive language delay (Apraxia dx) which originally qaulified him for services at 3, is no longer an issue. Receptive is at the 90th percentile, and expresive in in the 60th percentile. He was placed in this self contained "Apraxia Classroom," more due to his attention difficulties and he still needs some fine tuning in articulation. We decided that these services would be better in this setting rather than pull out services. And the whole "Apraxia dx" is pretty much a non issue now. His progress is not typical of a child with true Apraxia.

I am trying not to be "that mom." After thinking more about it, I'm going to give them some more time before I contact the ETL about the issue. Hopefully, the teacher will respond and we can move on.

And Yes, Trev does seem to be happy and is learning.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"