Infertility
Options

Sperm and alcohol

Has anyone heard about the effects of alcohol on sperm? My DH is having a glass of wine and our IUI is tomorrow, I'm sort of pissed. I'm sure one glass won't do anything, but last time we did this he only had 4.8 million post wash...I am probably overreacting, and a little wine isn't going to hurt the swimmers...but what is everyone else's take on the sperm & alcohol situation?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sperm and alcohol

• Options

Ive asked this too.  I do know sperm generate in 3 months cycles, so a glass tonight prob will not matter.

I asked DH to cut down on the booze, but our RE didn't think it was a big deal.  We are doing IVF w ICSI, so the count doesn't have to be very high...not sure about IUI.

• Options

Just like Vanessa said, Alcohol does affect sperm, but also, it does take the 3 months to affect it (I have heard 72 days actually).

So, wine tonight should definitely not be an issue.  And if it helps him relax, I say all the better.  Maybe he will be able to get a better sample tomorrow :)

We have major MFI, so DH has cut back on his OVERALL alcohol intake, but I try not to worry about a splurge here and there...

Our Blog - http://thedittemores.blogspot.com/
    Dx PCOS 2003/high fasting insulin/clotting issues DH Dx with low sperm count, motility and morphology. Varicocele repair (11/1/2010)
    2/2011 - Confirmed no improvement - On to Donor Sperm
    4 failed IUIs in 2010
    IUI#5 and 6- with DS, BFN
    Final IUI - Lucky #7! IUI with DS - 20.Jun.2011 - 21.5 mil motile! Not so lucky - BFFN and the end of our IF journey....
    Waiting for our family to be complete through Adoption - May 2012 - Hoping our baby finds us soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And.....  Good luck tomorrow.  Hope it goes good for you :)
    Our Blog - http://thedittemores.blogspot.com/
    Dx PCOS 2003/high fasting insulin/clotting issues DH Dx with low sperm count, motility and morphology. Varicocele repair (11/1/2010)
    2/2011 - Confirmed no improvement - On to Donor Sperm
    4 failed IUIs in 2010
    IUI#5 and 6- with DS, BFN
    Final IUI - Lucky #7! IUI with DS - 20.Jun.2011 - 21.5 mil motile! Not so lucky - BFFN and the end of our IF journey....
    Waiting for our family to be complete through Adoption - May 2012 - Hoping our baby finds us soon!
  • Options

imagemeg_koole:
    And.....  Good luck tomorrow.  Hope it goes good for you :)

Thank you  :) 

• Options
    I think you'll be fine. I don't blame you for being concerned though. But again, I think you'll be OK. One glass of wine shouldn't hurt. Good luck on your IUI!!!!
    TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DH drinks (mostly tequila - and not the cheap stuff).  But with our Dx, we have to IVF, so we don't need as many sperm and it isn't really an issue.

When we had a failed IVF converted to an IUI last month, surprisingly, DH's numbers were better than at his initial SA.  So apparently the alcohol didn't impact his sperm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"