Breastfeeding
Options

How & when do you start pumping?

I'd like to start putting milk aside for the day we can start offering a bottle.  How does one go about starting to pump without decreasing the supply you're feeding your LO?   Does anyone know how quickly your make more milk?  Sometimes I feel like I get emptied out & wonder how DD can possibly get more in 2 hours.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"Cherish your furbabies today because there might not be a tomorrow"

Heaven has another angel. RIP Bubba 2/15/09 - 9 Months Old

Godspeed Apache "Boo Boo" 2/2/09 - 2 1/2 Years Old
Rest in peace my sweet Angel. 11/05/08 - 2 Years Old

Re: How & when do you start pumping?

• Options

I didn't start pumping until DD was 3 weeks.  I started by pumping an hour after her mid-morning (10am) feeding when I was still pretty full.  I noticed an increase in supply at that time after a couple of days.  I pumped everyday at the same time (even weekends) until I went back to work when DD was 9 1/2 weeks and had around 300oz in my freezer.  I never had an issue with supply or keeping up with DD even when I pumped as my body adjusted and created an oversupply. 

Now, I have closer to 400 oz in my freezer 4 months later.  I only dipped into my freezer stash for the first time this week.  If I had added in another pumping session in the evenings, I probably could've had a lot more of a freezer stash, but I'm not sure if I would/will need it.  I work a 4-day week and pump twice at work now to provide DD milk while I'm away.  Around 5 mo I had to add an additional pump session in the morning before work to keep up with her, and just this last week I added a pump session in the evening before I go to bed and 2 hours after DD's last nursing.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I would start ASAP. I waited so long to start that I don't have a great stash, and at 6mo when Aunt Flow came back I stopped producing extra to pump (i would get maybe an ounce if I pumped while DD was nursing). I used to pump after her first morning feeding, and after her last feeding of the evening before I went to bed. Obviously if LO is nursing every hour or two you may not have enough time between to pump, so start when you have the time. I wish I has started a consistent pumping routine in the first few months!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"