December 2010 Moms

If your swelling

Are you doing anything other than putting your feet up? I drink TONS of water already (at least 100 ounces a day) and looking for other things I can do to try and reduce the swelling.

Re: If your swelling

• Reduce your sodium intake and add lemon to your water...maybe try some support stockings as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know it kinda seems counter-inntuative - but I actually try to walk/get a small amount of exercise in.

I either just take the dog on a 30 minute walk or go to prental yoga. It seems like moving around and getting the blood flowing for a little bit along with drinking a ton of water (about the same as you are) helps to force my body to push all the extra fluid/swelling out. (As oppose to me just sitting at home with my feet up since I sit at a desk all day at work.)

Good Luck! I still haven't found a perfect solution, I battle the swelling a few days a week it seems like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been told that swelling gets worse if you've been sitting/stationary for 20 minutes or more. Standing in place falls under that as well. My OB wants me to keep moving as much as I can. Letting your hands hang down at your sides is also a problem, so I've been told to cross my arms or rest them on my belly when I can't elevate them. I was also cautioned against wearing socks that are too tight or shoes that won't accomodate the swelling that's going to happen.

My sodium intake is already minimal and if I drink any more water I may drown Baby Techie Stick out tongue so I'm sticking to moving when I can- basically pacing for a few minutes before sitting back down again. I have to balance the movement with not elevating my bp so that's been interesting.

• I have DH squeeze them at night - he starts at the toes & (gently) goes up to my knees.  It feels nice & it helps some.  Exercise helps too, as does lemon water. Or a nice soak in some cool water. 

• Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try them tomorrow.

MrsTechie- I think the movement helps some. I had stuff I needed to get done tonight and they look smaller to me. DH said it looks like your ankle bones are trying to peak out in stead of being trapped under all that fluid. 

• My dr. said today that potassium helps.  Load up on the bananas!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doctor wants me to lay on my left side for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon(and to also sleep that way). I guess it's working because I was retaining a LOT of fluid and I'm down almost 4 lbs. My doctor says I was retaining approximately 8 lbs of fluid
  • my MIL told me to eat canteloupe to reduce swelling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"