April 2011 Moms
Options

"cystic fibrosis mut" on 1st appt bill?

I got our bill from our first appt today (we have an HSA) and on there is a $1,500 charge for "Cystic Fibrosis Mut". Any idea what that is? Of course we're only responsible for a portion of that but the bill was still higher than I anticipated. At the first appt I had an internal ultrasound and some bloodwork.

I'm calling tomorrow but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone could enlighten me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: "cystic fibrosis mut" on 1st appt bill?

• Options
    Well I don't know what mut is short for, but they checked to see if you are a carrier for cystic fibrosis.  At your first appointment they check your blood for all sorts of things  and that is just one of them. 
  • Options

Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess I was just surprised at the cost...also wanted to know if that was standard at a 1st appt.

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Were you given the option to have the test done.  We were asked to check yes or no for the test.

That is very pricey.  I know we pay one standard fee for all pregnancy related testing and the birth.

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think we were given the option - I filled out paperwork but I don't recall any questions on whether we'd like that specific test. Since this is my first I don't know if that's standard or not (aka whether I should be annoyed they just did it without asking). I guess I'll call and find out.
  • Options

I think it varies by area. We were asked whether we wanted to have it done, and since we have CF in our family (which no one in my family had any idea about until my nephew was born 5 years ago), I definitely did. But friends who've had babies in other states have had the test done without being asked whether they wanted it or not.

Oh, and "mut" stands for mutation. CF is caused by a mutation in your genes, so the blood test checks to see whether you have one of these mutations.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is just a crazy amount for that test. My labs were billed out at a few hundred TOTAL (for a whole bunch of tests, including cystic fibrosis) before the negotiated rate was applied. The whole thing wound up being $76.
  • Options
    It was part of my prenatal profile last time around.  I did not need the testing again since I tested negative before.
  • Options
    I had to sign a consent to be tested for cystic fibrosis mutation. I believe you are supposed to sign a consent for any genetic testing (as it may have insurance implications). I think they discussed how much the test cost, and I was under the impression it was a few hundred dollars. $1500 seems a bit ridiculous. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard that it costs around $1500.  My dr. office wanted me to fill out a form and sign it before they were going to do it.  They never told me the cost if my insurance didn't pay for it....which annoys me....but I decided not to do it until I had time to look into my insurance further.  It turns out...they probably wouldn't have covered it.
  • Options
    At my first appointment, my doctor filled out all the paper work for the lab when I got my blood drawn and she crossed out the CF part.  She said if it's done with a blood test, the cost is around $1500 and it's usually not covered by insurance.  Instead, she had me do an oral swab that costs about $100...  She said the results are just as accurate, and it saves their patients a lot of money.  They send the swabs to an outside lab I guess because it's a lot cheaper than sending it to the hospital lab where the rest of my testing was done.  I am really glad they offer this because I would have a hard time consenting to a blood test that costs $1500.
  • Options

I had this test--it was something we talked about with our Dr--they tested for 96 different versions of CF. I'm really surprised your Dr didn't go over that with you, it might even be an error on your bill if they didn't have to sign things or discuss the test.

But $1500 is what it costs without insurance. I know because we had an insurance mix up and they sent us the bill without our insurer's contribution. I had a mini-panic attack before I realized what happened!

Photobucket Alice Julia - born 3/25/11
  • Options
    I don't know if it varies from state to state, but I've had tons of genetic testing done, including CF, and I had to sign off on all of it. I think our bill for CF came to ~$500, but it was covered by insurance. $1500 does seem crazy high.
  • Options
    My OB asked me if I wanted the test or not. Pretty sure they can't just test you without consent.  I don't know how much it's supposed to cost before insurance, but I've heard 1,500 or higher even.. so your pre-insurance bill sounds about right to me.  I live in Minnesota.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"