TTC After a Loss
Options

Testing

This has always been really confusing to me. I know a lot of us on here have had one or two losses either early or before 12 weeks. Some of us have had testing, and others haven't, and it seems like the tests we are all getting are very different. If you have had testing, how did your doctor determine what tests to do? For example I have had testing for PCOS and progesterone because of some PCOS-like symptoms and early m/c. But how do I know I don't need any genetic testing or DH doesn't need testing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Testing

• Options

Hmmm...I'm not sure.  I'm guessing every doctor has different thoughts/beliefs.  My last OB that I was with while pg, said she wanted to do an RPL and an SHG and if those came out clear, we would look at more genetic testing.

With my new doctor, we did an HSG, P4 testing, and SA.  He pretty much is just doing whatever I ask about.  I do research or hear about something on here, call the office and talk to my nurse, and then she orders the test for me.  So far I've only seen my new OB once and just called all the other times.

If I don't get KU this cycle, I will call and talk to him or his nurse about my late ovulation.  I have a feeling that if I am pushy enough and bring in my charts and just tell them I want to try something else to help me get KU, they will do it.  I'm thinking they will want me to try Clomid.

Maybe just start asking your OB about these tests and say that you want them.  If you are paying for them, why should they say no?  At least that's how I look at it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my regular OB wont do any miscarriage testing until after the third loss (omg i better not have THREE) im hoping that the RE will think differently- i got all my PCOS testing with him last year before i got my BFP except for the glucose challenge test- i still need to get that done-
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think that the OB and your situation has a lot to do with it.  I would expect an OB to treat a 1st time mom different than one who has had children before.  Your age has something to do with it too.  Your OB gets clues about what is going on from your situation and details.  Some OBs might be more invasive than others and it might depend on your insurance too.

Mine suggested we do karyotyping, autoimmune testing and blood clotting disorder testing, but didn't suggest progesterone testing (although a different OB in the practice did).  I chose to start with the progesterone and pursue further testing if that didn't show a deficiency. Based on her experience, women can have children w/these problems and have them turn up later on with recurrent m/c just b/c the odds are then against them.  So, she wanted to test for these things, but agreed with me that they probably were not the cause.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

I pushed for the RPL after my first chemical because I read up on it and I had family history of clotting issues. My gut told me something was up, and I was right. I had my daughter after I was diagnosed. Granted I still had this late loss for unrelated (unexplained) reasons but at least I know. I had all the other testing because I was w/ an RE. We were able to opt into karotyping then, so we knew before we even began TTC. But my Dr. also offers EVERYONE the option to get tested at MFM.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"