Baby Names
Options

Too close for friends??

One of my best friends just had a baby boy and named him owen.  We are expecting a little boy in 4 months and I have been loving the name Rowan-  is this going to be super confusing for them during playgroup?? 

Re: Too close for friends??

• Options
    I'm sure it will be fine.
  • Options

Yes. I'd find something else.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keep it on your list. If you still love it in the final month, talk to her about it if it's still bothering you. It's not the same name technically, so I don't see a problem with it, but if you do, then talk to your best friend. (But buy her chocolate first...she just had a kid after all)
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    I think it's fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

If you love the name, use it. They are different names (with similar origin).

Yes, you are best friends right now. And yes, I hope that that friendship continues for a long time .... BUT:

- You never know where your relationship will be 5-10 years from now. It is not like it is the name of a close family member.

- Owen and Rowan may never be friends. There could be other Owens that play with Owen and Rowan. There will probably be another Owen in the playgroup at some time.

- Adults (and children) can learn the difference between Owen and Rowan. 

- Rowan is an awesome name. Therefore gets a big thumbs up from me.

This exactly!

• Options
    I can't believe this is really even a consideration. I would not be concerned about playgroup mix-ups. I mean think about it in the grand scheme of life. If it was siblings, yes too close, but just a friend, no way! Also, as pp mentioned, they are completely different names.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • Options
    Even if it was my sister's kid, I still think they are totally different names. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it will be okay!  Those names are actually really cute together! Smile
    Joshua 1:9 - "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:

If you love the name, use it. They are different names (with similar origin).

Yes, you are best friends right now. And yes, I hope that that friendship continues for a long time .... BUT:

- You never know where your relationship will be 5-10 years from now. It is not like it is the name of a close family member.

- Owen and Rowan may never be friends. There could be other Owens that play with Owen and Rowan. There will probably be another Owen in the playgroup at some time.

- Adults (and children) can learn the difference between Owen and Rowan. 

- Rowan is an awesome name. Therefore gets a big thumbs up from me.

THIS! 

• Options
    It will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"