Upstate NY Babies

I had no idea...

I keep seeing posts on 6-9 about kids saying their first words.  I had no idea that babies said words so early.  I thought it was closer to a year for some reason.

What age did your LO say their first word?  And by first word, I mean in context, like calling you/DW "Mama" or DH "Dada", etc. 

DD1: 3/31/10 DD2: 9/7/11

Re: I had no idea...

• Kitty was Eve's first word. I think it was around 9 months. I remember telling the dr at her 9 month appt that she could say kitty.. but that was her only word at that point.

Eve hardly babbled, and she didn't use mama and dada in context until much later.

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Ethan's first word was dada and it was 10 months
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't remember exactly, but it was probably around 8 mos.  I remember when he was almost 10 mos we drove to Ocean City and were videotaping in the car while he mimicked us and repeated mama mama and dada dada.  By the time he was a year old he had probably 10-15 words, but he has always been very verbal.
  • G was saying dada at around 9 months, but I'm still not convinced it was 'in context.'  He started saying dog around 11 months, and that was very intentional.
  • We had a late bloomer - he was 18 months. I do think it had a bit to do with the state of his ears at that point, though.
  • Evan said "mama" around 8 or 9 months. Sometimes it was in context, other times it wasn't.

He said dada around 11 months, and it's always in context. Now that he can say dada, I never hear mama... everything is dada this dada that... the phone rings- dada? the dog barks so he thinks DH is home- dada? 

• At seven months she said, "Dada".  She said mama and hey before about a month before that.  I would say "Dada" is her first word that she uses in context.  She says it whenever she hears her dad.  The first time she said it I called him up and she said it over and over to him.  She says it when she hears his voice or sees his face.  She will still say it if she is playing or in highchair, but never as much as when she hears him or sees him. In the morning she looks at him and says it over and over it so cute!!

• Evan's first word was Jack...then Dadda...then Mamma...then truck.  He now says them with meaning and understands a lot of words.  
    imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 11 months for Justin. It's hard to know though because sometimes now Dylan sounds like he says "Mama" and "Dada" but I don't really think he's saying it yet...just sounds like it....who knows.
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"