Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Would you spend $700 on an airplane seat for your LO?

The last time I flew with DS he wa 8 months old and it was miserable holding a squirming infant on my lap.  Now he's walking and won't sit still for a second.  I need to book a flight for when he will be 16 months old, and it involves taking 3 planes and 12 hours of total travel time (including plane changes).  DH will be with me and can help hold him.  Would you pay the $700 for LO to have their own seat or just suck it up and hold them in your lap?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you spend $700 on an airplane seat for your LO?

• If you can swing it, yes I would.
  • I personally wouldnt. It might be better with your DH there to help you
    image   image
  • Loading the player...
  • If you can afford it, I would.  We flew a 2 hour flight with DS at 14 months and 16 months and I can't even imagine holding him on our lap.  Having him in the carseat was hard enough.  On our return there was a couple with a son the same age as our son.  They were doing our leg but then had a connection for a 6 hour flight from NC to Seattle.  Their kid was so difficult the whole flight and when we got off they told us they were kicking themselves for not buying him a seat and were freaking out about the 6 hour flight.  They were going out there and said they were definitely booking him a one-way seat and buying a cheap carseat in Seattle for the return. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Absolutely. I've never had either kid on my lap in the plane for more than a half hour.

• We just did a plane ride with DD in our laps.  We didn't have quite as long of a flight at you..our travel time was about 4 hours total each way, with one layover each way.  DD actually did really well in our laps.  She played with her toys and talked to other people on the plane.  She loved playing peekaboo over the seats.  We did get lucky though, that neither of our longer flights were full, so we got a seat for DD.  She loved sitting in her big girl seat and looking out the window, and we didn't have to pay for it.

Maybe you could ask right when you get on the plane if there ends up being an extra seat, could you be switched to that row?  We flew Delta, and the flight attendants were really good about making sure we got switched to the empty row since we had a lap baby.

• No. I'd be miserable holding her the whole time, but it's worth saving the $700 IMO.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• If I can afford to do so I sure would. The way DS is we would all have bad time. DS squirms as it is just sitting on my lap I can't imagine him having sit on mine and DH's lap for that long. It would be a real struggle.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hell yes I would, if it was that long of a flight.

Last time we flew with dd when she was 15 months old it was horrid having her on our labs. I wish we would have gotten her her own seat. 

• imagesunnyday016:
    No. I'd be miserable holding her the whole time, but it's worth saving the $700 IMO.
    This
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes I would.  I actually just did.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • no way.  if it was just me, and i had the $, then maybe.  but since dh will be there, no way. 
  • Yes. We are planning a 12 hour flight in 2 months and we are buying her a $1,000 seat. Sounds a little ridiculous now that I type it out with that kind of money, but there is no way she would sit on my lap for more than a few minutes, and I don't want to subject myself or fellow passengers to an angry toddler for that long in a confined space. Oh, and we'll be flying with DH and my mother, so it's not for lack of help, just saving everyone's sanity.
  • absolutely, if it won't be a strain on your finances. especially at that age.

We've spent around 1k for an overseas flight for DD1 at 7 months, and have always bough her her own seat when we fly to visit my family across country. We'll be buying both girls a seat for our Christmas trip, 4 hour flight. My DD1 is difficult enough as it is, I'm not dealing with trying to keep her on my lap in addition to the stress of flying. Plus, they'll fall asleep in their own seats, but not on my lap.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • No, I wouldn't if it was my son because our last flight (he was 14m) I had to walk him up and down the aisle for almost the whole flight anyway.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • I would just hold them in my lap.  I couldn't imagine paying $700.00 for my own ticket, lol
  • We just came back from London and we spent more than that for DS's seat. It was well worth the money. He was in his carseat and slept a good amount of time. There's no way he or I would've been comfortable for 8 hours without his own space.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yes, LO gets her own seat every time we fly.  It sucks, but safety is our first priority.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My initial thought was no way but after reading that it's 3 flights for 12 hours, I think I would.  

I never buy seats for my kids under two but our flights have never been longer than 4 hours.  Your situation sounds miserable with a lap child.  

We're flying with DS tomorrow at 15 months.  He does not sit still EVER and I am really dreading the flight.  It's only 2 hours but it's going to be a long 2 hours.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"