Breastfeeding

BF ?'s, Sorry Long

Hi ladies,  we are currently in our 2nd cycle of TTGP-however I am trying to prepare for when it happends.  So any answers would be helpful.  To begin I had a reduction in my early 20's (9 yrs ago). I was told I would never know if I could BF unless I tried..  Soooo

We already have a child, and nursing wasn't easy w/ him.  In the hospital he didn't gain weight-I had to supplement--then at home, I would Pump and Pump and Pump all day to give him something to supplement with-but my supply was never quite enough.. I had issues w/ getting him to latch on and stay on.  Long story short of it--by 4 weeks he was just formula fed.  I would pump 6X/day for a total of 4oz.--and by that point he was so used to the bottle that he wouldn't even latch on.  

I always felt like less of a mom (at that time)  b/c I wasn't successful at it and it was something I REALLY wanted to do. I don't know if I am setting myself up for dissapointment but I want to give it a shot again.. Of course i am not even PG yet--but I am hoping to be (soon)...

So my questions--anyone have similar experience? What can I change? And if you have a book that would help in this dept. send over the recomendation please? 

Thanx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF ?'s, Sorry Long

• First off, I don't want you to take anything I write here as saying you did something wrong.  It sounds like you really tried with your first one, but it sounds like you were a little misinformed.

1.  It's normal for babies (especially BF babies) to lose up to 10% of their birth weight.  There is no need to supplement unless they lose more.  Supplementing is no good for your supply.

2.  Pumping 6X a day isn't near enough.  I pumped the first 7 weeks and I was pumping anywhere from 8-10 times a day.  

If I were you I'd find a good lactation consultant when you get pregnant and read up BFing.  Sometimes medical professionals will push formula even when it isn't necessary.

If it doesn't work out please don't feel like less of a mom.  All you can do is try.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with AmyfromKY's feedback above and also want to add:

One of the best reasons to seen an LC (early and often!) is to try and get the baby's latch correct right from the start.  For some women, pumping isn't as effective at bringing in your milk and keeping your supply up (it wasn't for me).  So getting baby on the breast and eating well is often the best way to ensure that your supply will be where it needs to be.  Some women need to pump, and if you do, that'll be okay.  Just wanted to suggest really getting some good help to try and figure out straight breastfeeding first.

Like Amy said, please don't beat yourself up over last time - you gave it a great shot and you can learn a lot from that.  This time around, I hope things are easier for you.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"