Babies: 3 - 6 Months

upset at friends comment

I have two kids a two year old and a 4 month old.  I am going back to work in two weeks and very emotional and upset about it.  I would rather stay home.  I am a teacher, so it makes it a little easier with hours and time off during the summer.  So anyway, I was talking to a friend and she said, it is really a shame you can't stay home and raise your kids.  She is a SAHM and refuses to get a job even though her husband and her could use more money.  Anyway this comment has been bothering me. Maybe I am just being emotional!   Would you be upset?  By the way we have my MIL watching the kids.  

Re: upset at friends comment

• It sounds like she was commiserating with you, how is that hurtful?  FWIW I mostly SAH as well (work every other weekend) even though we "could use more money"  Everyone makes their own choices for their own reasons, I doubt she was judging you if that's what you're thinking.  Maybe she wishes you could stay home so she'd have a SAH friend.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Ignore it.  Being a teacher is pretty selfless.  Maybe she is jealous.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Well it is a shame that you can't do what you want, which is stay home. You say she refuses to work, but she has decided that being home is best for their family. Maybe you are upset because you really wish you could do the same?
    My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I hear you.  I wish I could stay home too, but it wouldn't be the best choice for my family right now.  I think sometimes it is a selfish choice to stay home just because you want to when it is not the best financial choice for your family.  It puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on the working parent even though going into it they know ends won't meet if one stays home.  If people are in a position to make it work though then good for them.  I'm jealous :)

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Well even if she was trying to make you feel better, it didn't work!  Whatever her intentions were, try to forget about her comment.  Stay focused on the perks of being a teacher.  You've got great hours like you said, you're going to be busy 110% of the day, and you're making a huge impact in the lives of lots of other kids.  Plus stay focused on the summer..isn't that what gets all of us teachers through the tough times? Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do what you need to do. I am a teacher too and returned when LO was 3 1/2 months. Terribly hard, but the best decision for my family. Once the day starts, there are a zillion things happening and you will be able to focus on that (like PP said).  My mother and MIL watch DD so that makes it much better. You are doing what's right for you and your family just as others do.  Good luck and don't worry about those comments!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"