Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Thinking about buying organic... Qs?

Hey ladies. Ever since I had my LO all I can think about are the pesticides in food that I eat getting into my BM and how Skylar will eventually be consuming these chemicals too...

It's starting to bother me and I'm considering making a switch to start buying organic groceries.

However, aren't they expensive? How did you deal with switching on a budget, etc.? Any tips?

Re: Thinking about buying organic... Qs?

• Options

I made gradual changes as we ran out of things and now I would say about 80% of our food is organic and I'm sticking to my same budget.  I also focus on buying what I need, instead of just stockpiliing my pantry with random sales.  I also try much harder to use every single thing I buy and not let anything go to waste.

The Dirty Dozen list is also good to focus on...

https://www.foodnews.org/

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Options
    We try to stick to the dirty dozen too.  And dairy.  I only buy organic milk now.  I think it tastes better.  I often have coupons for Save $1.00 when you buy 2.  I also only buy organic yogurt for DS (although *I* eat conventional).  There have been times that organic has been on sale for just as inexpensive or CHEAPER than conventional. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They can be expensive, but one key is to do your shopping as local and as in-season as possible. An organic lime in December in PA that's been shipped from FL or beyond is going to be way more expensive than an organic apple in September from a farm market down the road.
  • Options
    I buy mostly organic at this point.  What I do to keep the costs reasonable is buy what's on sale and if it's something I can stock up on, I do.  It has worked so far :)
    Check out The Eco-Friendly Family, a
    Green Living Blog
    for eco-information and fun giveaways!

• Options

We buy a lot at our local farmers market. If I do need to get more at the store in between I check the prices on the organic compared to the conventional. Sometimes the organic is actually LESS than the conventional. Crazy, but true.

Growing your own is a fun option to start planning for now to plant next year.

• Options
    Surprisingly, Costco often has organic stuff.  I have gotten blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, apple slices, and other organic stuff there.  We set aside what we think we can eat before it goes bad, then we freeze the rest for later.  Yum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"