North Dakota Babies

Nia's a chunker!

Just an update from her well baby appointment yesterday: she's 11lbs 3oz up nearly 4lbs since birth; I was correct that her herniated belly button will heal on its own - it just doesn't look very pretty; the dr. suggested I start pumping more to alleviate the oversupply. I feel so bad for Nia especially because lately she pulls off so frustrated and gets sprayed in the face so hard! I guess i wouldn't want anything like that flowing into my mouth either! I'm going through my breast pads so quickly and soaking my shirts all the time. I think I'll have to have an all black wardrobe this fall :-(

Re: Nia's a chunker!

• Yay for Nia growing so quickly!!!
    Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Yay! Nia sounds so healthy!  And I'm a bit jealous of your oversupply issue, but I can certainly understand that it would be frustration. I don't know much about them but could you use those things that catch the excess milk for later use?  I don't remember what they're called, but I think Carollyn used them.

Hopefully her bellybutton will heal up quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • Yay for a healthy chunky baby!!!

Clearly, I'm not a doctor, but couldn't pumping increase your oversupply?  The more that is drained, the more your body thinks it needs to make more.  At least, that's my understanding from what I've read about oversupply.  I HAVE to pump in the morning, or I feel like my boobs will explode (plus, I've needed to build a stash for returning to work), but other than that, I try to avoid ever pumping during the day because I don't want my body to think that it needs all that extra milk.  It could definitely help Nia if you just pump a teeny tiny bit before she eats to relieve some pressure, but I would think that more than that could cause problems.  Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I would hate for your situation to get worse! 

• The milk catchers are called milkies.  They might help you when you're feeding Nia. 

YAY for such a quickly growing baby!!  Grow Nia, Grow!!

• thank you for suggesting the milkies! i'll have to check those out. dani, yes i'd think it'd increase my supply. i think she must've meant expressing some so it doesn't overwhelm her. i've also tried block feeding but then forgot to keep up with it so will try to resume it.
  • imagemrsquetee09:
    thank you for suggesting the milkies! i'll have to check those out. dani, yes i'd think it'd increase my supply. i think she must've meant expressing some so it doesn't overwhelm her. i've also tried block feeding but then forgot to keep up with it so will try to resume it.

I have a tough time block feeding too.  Mostly since the other breast gets painful in the meantime.  GL getting this under control--I know how frustrating it can be!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"