June 2011 Moms

s/o Vitamins

Did any of your doctors call in prenatal vitamin prescriptions for you?  I was talking to a couple coworkers (one who is pregnant, but neither of them know that I am) and they said their doctors prescribed them folic acid supplements because they needed 1000mcg a day, as well as iron supplements.

I found that odd, considering my doctor told me any old prenatal vitamin with 800 mcg of folic acid was just fine.  I take the Target generic pre-natal and haven't had any issues with it yet.  Am I supposed to be taking something extra?  Every few nights I do take a DHA (plant sources) supplement, but not every night because my doctor hasn't mentioned that it's necessary.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: s/o Vitamins

• I was originally on an RX PNV, but then switched.  Now I do a Target Children's chewable with Iron and a Folic Acid supplement. 
  • It's common. The nurse was getting ready to call in a precription for me, but I told her I was already taking Target Prenatal vitamins and she was fine with that. As long as you are taking prenatal vitamins that have 800 mg of folic acid, they are fine. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been taking Target prenatal vitamins and supplementing with a DHA (mine also includes other omega-3s but the DHA is most important) pill every night.
  • I asked my OB for a prescription so my insurance will pay for them.  She gave me two huge bags of samples to try first so I could find one that I like.  I'm still working my way through the samples, but the ones I like best have 1000mg folic acid plus DHA.  I've been taking them at night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm not on a prescription prenatal, just a regular.  However, I take an extra folic supplement (400mcg), B6 supplements (100mg in am and pm), and D3 supplements (2000iu every other day).  The B6 is preventative at this point--I was on it for LP issues, and now am just continuing to hopefully ward off any morning sickness issues.  The others were on the recommendation of our midwife.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • hmmm...I too am taking a Rx - Prenexa. It has plant based DHA and it agreed w me after sample so...I stuck with...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • My Dr. didn't offer it BUT I am friends with her nurse so she brought my my months worth of vitamin Rx to last me until my 1st visit. I would call and ask them to call it in.

Mine are  DHA and also have 1000mg of folic acid.

• Mine wouldn't prescribe one before seeing me, so she said just take an OTC pre-natal. I actually had about a month's worth left (not expired, individually packaged) from my first pregnancy, so I am taking those before buying an OTC to last until my appointment.
  • My OB put me on an RX vitamin.  Told her I was taking the Vitafusion gummies (they are yummy) but she prefers the scripted ones.  I only pay a co-pay which isn't too bad and so far they don't bother my stomach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dh is a pharmacist so I had him pick out my vitamins. He got the trader joes prenatal and the Lipil DHA supplement. Dr and midwife agreed they were fine and no rx was needed.
  • I have been taking Nature Made prenatals for a very long time. over a year, since we conceived last time..well after the mc, i continued to take them for the iron to help replenish what my body went through, and then continued them b/c we were ttc and all the extra boost was a good thing. I love them, and you can get them really cheap at rite aid if you watch thier sales. I got enough to last me through mid 2011, on a bogo sale, and paid 25 bucks :) gl to you with what you choose to you use....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"