January 2011 Moms
Options

dr isnt too happy with me....

I was concerned around 16 weeks that I was still sleeping on my back and stomach, but my dr said my body would let me know when I needed to not do these sleeping positions. So I went in today for my rhogam shot (I'm now almost 27 weeks) and the nurse and I were talking about baby's position and I mentioned something about feeling her when I'm in bed, on my stomach. She flipped out saying it was waaay too late in my pregnancy to lay on my stomach, and she was even more upset when i said I still sleep on my back. I can breath and it is comfortable. She told my dr and he wasn't very happy either, am I just a brainless pregnant woman? When did everyone else stop sleeping on their stomachs?

Re: dr isnt too happy with me....

• Options
    I don't really sleep on my stomach but while on on my side I lean a little more towards my stomach.  Do you sleep all the way on your stomach?  I stopped that weeks ago b/c it was uncomfortable
  • Options
    I stick a pillow under my stomach when I sleep on my side, and always end up leaning more towards my stomach, but it's comfortable.  I also find myself waking up on my back a bunch.  Eh, Baby moves, so I'm not too worried.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor had me stop sleeping on my back at 12 weeks, and my stomach when it got uncomfortable, which was around 15w.
  • Options
    I somehow also manage to sleep on my stomach... With my last i was kinda turned in some onto my stomach but not all the way, and thats how i fall asleep now but i always seem to wake up flat out on my stomach.
  • Options

I'd wobble like a Weeble if I tried to sleep on my stomach now.  I don't even know how you can do it.  Sometimes I find myself having rolled onto my back, but I try hard to stay on my side and when I do roll on my back, one side is propped up against the pillow dam I have built.  I would say I really started to pay attention to it around 15 weeks.  I stopped sleeping on my stomach around 12 because I was so bloated it was just uncomfortable.  

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    when I sleep on my stomach, I hike my right leg up and bend it so it takes some pressure off the baby. I told them that today but they were not too impressed.
  • Options
    I've been told that my body will know when I should stop sleeping on my back/belly because it will be uncomfortable.  The stomach became uncomfortable weeks ago, but I still occassionally sleep on my back.  It's not intentional, it just happens in my sleep.  I think it's pretty ridiculous for your doctor to tell you to wait on your body and then get mad at you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageellie15:
    when I sleep on my stomach, I hike my right leg up and bend it so it takes some pressure off the baby. I told them that today but they were not too impressed.

I think I kind of sleep that way sometimes but I think of it more as side sleeping because I have a huge pillow under that leg that props me up.

Someone described it a few weeks ago as sleeping like spider man, and I think captain morgan was also used to describe it? Sound like what you're doing? I don't consider it stomach sleeping though...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    um, oops.  I definitely still sleep on my stomach and back.  I can't help it.  I go to sleep on my left side like a good girl, and wake up either on my back or my stomach in the morning.  WTF am I supposed to do?  Use a recalled infant sleep positioner?
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options

imagecdobry01:
    um, oops.  I definitely still sleep on my stomach and back.  I can't help it.  I go to sleep on my left side like a good girl, and wake up either on my back or my stomach in the morning.  WTF am I supposed to do?  Use a recalled infant sleep positioner?

No, a Duggar body pillow! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I stopped sleeping on my stomach at about 7w out of paranoia that I would squish my little Squish, but I still sleep on my back. -Well; I wake up on my back throughout the night. I'm comfortable and my legs aren't going numb from lack of circulation, so... I see no harm in it at the moment.
  • Options

I had to stop sleeping on my stomach around 16 weeks because it was so uncomfortable.  I still find myself waking up on my back, but I think I wake myself up because I noticed this morning that my breathing is more shallow when I am on my back.  I also have a pillow dam and sometimes it works.  I really am a big believer in your body telling you when there is a problem with you sleeping on your back though, because so many women used to sleep on their backs before they knew what happened with the blood flow.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imagefuturemrscohick:
    I stick a pillow under my stomach when I sleep on my side, and always end up leaning more towards my stomach, but it's comfortable.  I also find myself waking up on my back a bunch.  Eh, Baby moves, so I'm not too worried.

The issue with sleeping on your back is not that you are going to hurt baby by being in a certain position, its because you cut off circulation to your heart.  There is a major artery that runs behind your uterus and the weight of your uterus will cut off the circulation- thus cutting off circulation to baby also.  The reason you wake up on your back is because it is bad for your body- so it wakes you up. 

• Options
    I stopped sleeping on my back at like 14 weeks because I would wake up and my legs would be numb, because I was pinching my vena cava and shutting off circulation to my legs.  I got a pregnancy sleep pillow and it has worked wonders.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow I stopped that long long ago.
  • Options
    I still sleep on my stomach and my back. I start out on my left side with my prego pillow, but the first time I wake up to pee I get back in bed on my stomach (with one leg pulled up and bent like PP, but I did that before I was pg too). I wake up in the morning on my back somewhat frequently, too. A lot of times if I want to sleep on my back I just pull my prego pillow in really close to my back and try to lay half on that so that I'm at a slight angle and not completely flat on my back. But baby still squirms all day and I've never gone numb or been uncomfortable, so I'm just waiting it out until they aren't comfortable positions anymore.
  • Options

imagechicky1231:
    I don't really sleep on my stomach but while on on my side I lean a little more towards my stomach.  Do you sleep all the way on your stomach?  I stopped that weeks ago b/c it was uncomfortable

Me too

• Options

imagechicky1231:

Me too

I miss sleeping on my stomach though.

• Options

imageellie15:

This! I've actually always done this, DH thinks its the weirdest thing but what can i say? Its comfortable for me! At least until this week when it was finally a bit uncomfortable so I'm strictly side sleeping now.

I'll lay on my back for a few minutes at a time but I can't actually stay that way long before its too uncomfortable, I just need to give my poor shoulders and hips a break from the side sleeping.

I can't imagine how awful this is going to be by the end.

• Options
    I can't sleep on my stomach at all but I still wake up on my back from time to time. I just get back on my side and fall back asleep.
  • Options
    I still sleep occasionally on my back when my hips hurt so bad that I can't sleep on either side.  If I do this intentionally I try to prop myself up but I often wake up on my back.
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options
    I still sleep on both my back and stomach.  Both my OB and family doctor told me it was okay, and I would wake myself up or adjust if needed.  My OB actually told me he would prefer me to sleep on my stomach over my back because it is impossible to crush the baby.  So, I will continue to do so until it becomes uncomfortable!  Which, hopefully is never because I hate sleeping on my sides!
  • Options
    I'm 24 weeks and still sleep on my back and stomach.  It's really only a problem if you sleep in one position all night long -- then, for example with the back, the pressure of your heavy uterus will compress the vena cava.  But I toss and turn all night and can't stay in any one position for more than an hour.  I've always been like this, but now I have a lot of extra pillows to make life more comfortable.
  • Options
    I guess I'm going back to my pregnancy pillow to force me to sleep on my sides. I've been doing the spiderman sleep position too partially on my stomach. Well, it was great while it lasted.
  • Options
    My doctor never once gave me instructions about how to sleep.  I'm pretty sure I do that spiderman thing people are talking about, though.  It's the only way I can get to sleep.
  • Options
    I tuck a pillow under my belly so I don't roll completely over, which I don't think I could because my bump is too big.  But I do end up on my back.  I figure I rotate so much in the night, I'm never in one position too long, so I probably am not doing much damage.  :o)
  • Options

I am a firm believer that if it's not good for you, your body will let you know! I mean, if I'm on my back and my heart isn't getting blood...I think there will be warnings that wake me up?!

I'm still sleeping in the spiderman crawl...pretty much on my tummy! And flat on my back. When I sleep on my sides I am either uncomfortable or my arms fall asleep!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It hasn't been comfortable for me to sleep on my stomach for awhile now. I do still sleep on my back though.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"