Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Is your Pre-Schooler a beast when they get home?

My guys to to PS two days a week for three hours.  They are happy when I pick them up and talk in the car about what they did that day.  As soon as we hit the front door of our house the whining, yelling and mean streaks come out.  They yell at the baby if he so much as looks at them, they get mad when tell them to take off their shoes.  It doesn't take much.

I'm assuming they are tired and decompressing but I cannot allow them to lash out like this.  Any suggestions?

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

Re: Is your Pre-Schooler a beast when they get home?

• Options
    Yes, DS is into everything and in a general bad mood after preschool.  No ideas.  I just try to be patient and give him some lunch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DS was definitely like this for the first couple weeks, but he has gotten better lately.  I did notice that having a cold cup of water for him to drink on the way home really helped us. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is totally normal and will get easier.  My kids are like this some days but not all the time and sometimes, they will have 1 tantrum and get the energy out and then be totally fine.  My 4 year old is worse with this than my 2 1/2 year old.  SOme of it is pent up energy or emotions from being away from you or feelings about something that happened at school and feeling safe at home to express or just plan over whelmed and tired.

My older DD has always been fast to tantrum and fast to get happy after.  I let her have her tantrum and am there for when she is calming down and just wants to snuggle.  It goes a long way and she is always much happier the rest of the night.  Maybe find a way for the kids to have some down time in their rooms or something like that to help ease the transition between school and home.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

PP took the words out of my mouth- we even had a therapist tell us that it's normal behavior to lash out at home because he has been so overwelmed and forced to fit a mold at school. We have been dealing with tantrums with time outs (kind, gentle time outs- like you must lay on your bed with your blankie for 10 minutes), ignoring the bad behavior, and making sure our after-school/evening activities are laid back and low key. I have even recently allowed him to watch 30 minutes of TV when he gets home- he is so wired and distraught.

• Options
    Wow- I could have written this post.  Yes!  My ds is always like that when he gets home from daycare.  I let him do his own thing and play with his trains or watch cartoons for a little while to help him ease into being home. 
    3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    As a teacher I can tell you that I always hear "we threaten to tell you what LO is like at home b/c they are horrible when we pick them up". It's normal. Your LO is working so hard all day to follow the rules, listen, be the best he can be that at home he needs to just chill. Wish I had more helpful ideas to add!
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageVTbride05:
    As a teacher I can tell you that I always hear "we threaten to tell you what LO is like at home b/c they are horrible when we pick them up". It's normal. Your LO is working so hard all day to follow the rules, listen, be the best he can be that at home he needs to just chill. Wish I had more helpful ideas to add!
    As a teacher I hear it also and yes once Olivia gets home she is a crabby patty. We give her a cheese stick and some milk and she is fine lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was just talking to DH about this yesterday!  Like pp's mention, I figure it's a combo of being hungry and decompressing from having to be good at preschool.  Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I bring a snack to dc now and give it to DD on the drive home while we chat. Then when we get home I let her fuss and just give her a bit of extra attention and extra hugs and kisses but I promptly put her in a time out if she gets mean. Then when I get her out of time out I give her a bit more love and attention. This has become a 10 min process now and she snaps out of it quickly. I haven't had to do a time out in days and she even takes her shoes off without me asking and puts her socks in the hamper :)
    Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It was like that for the first 3 weeks or so.

It's gotten much better since then but... I can totally tell when he's had a high sugar snack at school.

Raisins, goldfish or fruit- he's fine.

Brownies - not so much. 

(each family takes turns bringing snack) 

Just wanted you to know that you may see some improvement in a few weeks!

GL! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I am going to try easing them in when we get home.  I usually start making lunch right away when we get home.  I think I will try having them sit down on the couch to snuggle and chill first.  We'll see if that helps.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    My son is like this. I found that if I fill him with snacks (healthy for the most part) in the car then he's a joy when we get home. Otherwise he's a monster.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"