Northern California Babies

Home remedies for a cough for your LO?

S has had some allergies/congestion and now has a little cough to go with it. I know what to do when it gets a little too persistent (I can give him some albuterol nebulizer treatments) but what other remedies can I do throughout the day or night? 

We've already had a steamy bath & shower may be on the list tonight.

TIA!  

Re: Home remedies for a cough for your LO?

• We do a bath with some CA baby cold and flu bubble bath and run a humidifier for naps and bedtime. Pedi suggested warm water w/lemon & honey, but M won't drink it.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hot liquids: Chicken soup, tea, hot coco, etc

Vapors: Humidifier, vicks, hot showers with one of the vapor tablets

Salt solution: I think the child one is called little noses

Hope your baby feels better soon.

Lilypie Maternity tickers"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • J wont drink the honey with warm water either, but he will take a spoon of Honey and eat the honey that way, and the honey coats the throat to help with his cough

An old Indian remedy is also to put a pinch of turmeric in milk or other liquid and have him drink it, the turmeric has healing properties to it

hope he feels better soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Previously posted as "denisethebride"
  • I smear Vicks all over the kids feet and then put socks on them.  If the coughing/congestion is really bad I'll put some on their chest and back too.

I also warm baby oil on my hands and massage their backs.  My mom/dad/grandma will still grab the baby oil and give us a quick massage if they notice us coughing when we're visiting.  It doesn't always work but it does make us feel a little better. I think it's more of a calming  effect than curing the cough.

• They can't get honey until they're 2, right?
  • imagemommy2jay:

J wont drink the honey with warm water either, but he will take a spoon of Honey and eat the honey that way, and the honey coats the throat to help with his cough

Ditto honey on the spoon.  Emmy likes to eat it that way.

Hope he feels better! 

• Feel better S!!

I swear by Vicks on the chest and humidifier.  I am actually going to do that for P tonight, he keeps telling me he has yuckies in his throat.

• Thanks for the idea of putting the honey on the spoon and letting him eat if off that way. I've tried honey & lemon in water and one sip and that's it. I wish I could get them to eat soup---just tried again tonight and no go. 

It will also be a Vicks and steamy bath kinda night....bedtime can't come soon enough.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"