TTC After a Loss
Options

damabo80

Do you have to a rx for the folic acid that is already broken down?  I am just on the regular.  My doctors never did any testing on me....so I don't know if I have MTHFR.  But, I wonder if I should replace it with 4 mg of the one that is already converted.  Mt dr's are so laid back about the whole thing.  I wish they had tested me for MTHFR.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: damabo80

• Options

You should be tested.  I would ask for it esp since you already had a baby with a NTD.

What is converted Folic Acid?  I'm on Fabb Tablet twice a day, which is a generic Folgard Rx.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

1st pregnancy: BFP- 6/28/09 - Found out we lost our little girl on 10/9/09 at 19w 4d - D&E- 10/14/09

June 2010, corrective surgery for Septate Uterus and large fibroids

2nd pregnancy: BFP- 10/18/10 - Slow rising, non-doubling HCGs, no heart beat. Non-viable pregnancy, D&C- 11/12/10

Started Metformin 6/30/11, Started Clomid 7/20/11 - Unsuccessful

HSG and Laparoscopic surgery revealed blocked tubes and lots of scar tissue...IVF here we come!!!

Surprise BFP naturally!!! IT'S A BOY!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Yep, you'll need a prescription for it. It's called Metanx (clicky) and it contains 2.6mg of the converted form. In addition to that, i also take the 4mg, a B complex, and the prenatal. You can't really OD on folic acid until once you hit 10mg/day, but even then, you're probably still ok.

If you can, ask to be tested for it. While they are at it, have them test your homocystine levels. I got the test after I had been on the high dose folic acid for a month, so I don't know if that skewed my homocystine results, but those were normal on me.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageala_1220:

You should be tested.  I would ask for it esp since you already had a baby with a NTD.

What is converted Folic Acid?  I'm on Fabb Tablet twice a day, which is a generic Folgard Rx.

When normal people eat folic acid, their body will break it down into its useable form (like turning the bread you eat into sugar that your body can absorb). However, MTHFR has been associated with people not converting folic acid into its useable form, so that means your body may not be able to metabolize it and use it. The Metanx comes "converted" which is like "ready to be disgested". Your body doesn't have to do anything to absorb it.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    Thanks for the info Dawn.  It is so frustrating.  My doctor just tells me he thinks it was a "fluke".  Even the perinatologist he sent me to said there was nothing to test me for when we asked.  He just told me that if I take the 4mg, the chances of another ntd would be "almost 0%." They never even mentioned MTHFR.  I don't even know if they would know what it is.  I am trying to trust them and not worry-but it is so hard. 
  • Options
    I just found some l-methylfolate otc and ordered it.  I think I am going to add at least one of those a day to my 4mg and pnv.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"