3rd Trimester

I will NEVER do that with my child!

You know when you're walking in walmart or somewhere and you see a parent do something you don't like with their child and you say "ill never do that to my kid!"?   I have a lot of those moments, but one thing ive promised myself is that ill never hit my child in their face, not to "pop" them in the mouth or anything. Its more for personal reasons but its something i refuse to do and I don't see myself doing it.

What is one thing you promise to never to do your child? or something you will never let them do?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I will NEVER do that with my child!

• Weird, popping my kid in the face was an obvious one...

Sodas....my kid will not be the one will the dr. pepper in their lunch box.

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I also wont ever pop them in the mouth.  My kid will get a spanking when he or she disobeys but only on the bottome.

I will also teach my kids manners. Nothing is more annoying than kids in public who don't know how to behave

• Loading the player...
  • I will never be the parent that says, "I will never..."

Stick out tongue

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• That disgusts me when I see people hit a child in the face, there is never a reason that should be done in my book.

Something I will never do is scream or yell at my children in public, nor will I let them cry or throw a tantrum in a store. I will take them and leave before I let that happen. I see people walk around the store way too often with crying, tantrum throwing children and that won't be me. I would rather come back at another time when I know that I can shop or do what I have to do and my child is either home with DH or with me & in a better mood. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <3 Watching the snow <3 <br> Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for"
  • The face popping thing is pretty big for me. I also will not let my children walk around without shoes.....or with dried dirty snot all over their face (or fresh snot for that matter).
  • imageJ+MS:

Weird, popping my kid in the face was an obvious one...

Now I know its not normal, but growing up in my household it was actually very common. 

• imageJ+MS:

Or in their bottle Tongue Tied I've seen people pour pepsi in bottles before. WTF?

• Well, other than the obvious of physical abuse like you pointed out (honestly I'm a little bothered you even have to put it out there that you won't ever pop your kid in the mouth)...

- I'll never put a kid leash on my kid

- I'll never take my kid out of the house unclothed (I hate seeing kids wearing nothing but diapers in public!)

-  I'll never let my kid cry for more than about a minute in a restaurant before going into the bathroom or going outside with them. It's unfair to the other customers. I'll also never let my kid throw food all over the floor at a restaurant then just expect the waitstaff to clean up after him. 

• I will not take my child into public wearing only a diaper. Even as a baby, he has a right to his dignity and it's my job to protect that.
  • imageCheyenneShaw:
    imageJ+MS:

Now I know its not normal, but growing up in my household it was actually very common. 

Yep, mine too. Probably why I don't talk to my mom now.

• I will never go on the gravitron with my kid. That ride makes me sick, and DH can do it :)
  • imagecinema_goddess:

I will never be the parent that says, "I will never..."

Stick out tongue

Yes, well...  with the exception of hitting her kid.  That is a NO-NO!!!

I always said I'll never use one of those backpacks with a leash...  my son is faster than me, and ran out in back of a car the other day...  luckily no one was backing up, but they could have.  He plays this "chase me" game.  If having him on a leach will keep him safe, that's what I'll have to do.  I don't want to, but it's off my "I will never" list now that I'm a Mom.

• imageLB1988:
    imageCheyenneShaw:
    imageJ+MS:

Yep, mine too. Probably why I don't talk to my mom now.

Me and my mom already fought about how she raised me. Now we are not on speaking terms because I wont allow her to smoke around DS or bring DS to her smoke filled home

• imageMrslove78:
    imagecinema_goddess:

Stick out tongue

I always said I'll never use one of those backpacks with a leash...  my son is faster than me, and ran out in back of a car the other day...  luckily no one was backing up, but they could have.  He plays this "chase me" game.  If having him on a leach will keep him safe, that's what I'll have to do.  I don't want to, but it's off my "I will never" list now that I'm a Mom.

This will be my first, so I'm not really speaking from any type of experience... but.... I just think it looks wrong having your kid on a leash.  I imagine that their tiny brain is processing as they look around and thinking "why is it that the only other things I see on leashes are dogs?". 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • I will never again make a child rearing decision out of pride instead of safety.

After having DS, who has some special needs, I realize that it doesn't matter what other think of me; it only matters that my child is safe.  

• imagemissesru:
    imageMrslove78:
    imagecinema_goddess:

Stick out tongue

This will be my first, so I'm not really speaking from any type of experience... but.... I just think it looks wrong having your kid on a leash.  I imagine that their tiny brain is processing as they look around and thinking "why is it that the only other things I see on leashes are dogs?". 

When I told my mom about that being off my "I will never" list, she laughed so hard I think she peed her pants.  One of her most emberessing moments of her life was a time when she and my sister and I were out someplace, and saw this man with his kid on a leash, and we were vocal about how messed up it was, the man was offended, but told me basically "just you wait."  Well...  many years later, Yes, I see his wisdom.

• I will try super hard to never lose them or leave them at the Grand Canyon like Joe Dirt.
  • imagemissesru:
    imageMrslove78:
    imagecinema_goddess:

Stick out tongue

My son has let go of my hand and ran toward traffic. Kids are quick. One time a complete stranger grabbed him from the curb before I could catch him. Thank goodness for that man.

DS has auditory sensory issues. Screaming 'Stop' does nothing whatsoever because he can't process it quick enough to change course. His monkey backpack has saved his life more times than he or anyone will ever realize. 

I get very defensive on this subject because my very smart, advanced speaking kid doesn't  appear to others as a special needs kid and I get judgy looks all the time for using something to protect his life. 

• imageDonnaAndJay:
    I will try super hard to never lose them or leave them at the Grand Canyon like Joe Dirt.

I am extremely disappointed in myself, how could I not think to add that to my "i will never " list??

• ? hit my child - face or not

? say hateful mean things to them (note MIL...)

? not listen when they want my attention

? drink + drive with them (people do this all the time)

? not put them first

I will ALWAYS do my very best to make them feel completely loved, protected and special in every way possible. Basically try to be my like my Mother! 

• If I saw some one smack there kid in the face in front of me I'd prolly say somthin really smart to them... Any who, I will never have my kid on a leash. Just a personal choice, never been a fan of the kid leash, although I'm glad that they are atleast attached to the cute lil animal backpacks these days!
  • I will never let my child feel like she has enough control over me that if she starts throwing a tantrum, I will leave a public place.  If she is sick & crying due to a stomach ache-We will leave ASAP.  If she is simply throwing a tantrum in the store because she wants a toy & I won't buy it for her then I redirect her attitude.  I can tell her stop once & she does & if we have to leave because of a tantrum then she knows when we get home it's straight to time-out.!!   I've never had to do that though. But we talk about why is so upset & it usually helps.

It annoys me sooo badly when I see a child crying or trying to tell parent something & the parent just ignores them or tells them to be quiet.  Your kid if trying to say something, listen to them!  DD is just starting to have a mini-conversation & I can ask/talk to her about something & she can communicate it back to me.  That is important to me!

ok, getting off my soap box now!

• Mama_SAS:

Don't worry about people judging this, it's only because they know no better.  I think many people do judge that until they have toddlers (with or without special needs) Kids are quick, and they don't listen well no matter what, even if you?re holding their hand.  They see something that they want to touch or play with they are OUT'a'there.  I used to judge, but MAN I was dumb before I was a Mom.  I sure have respect for the people who says they will never say "I will never" until they have children.  You know how sometimes learning something new only opens your eyes to the fact that you know even less that you originally thought you didn't know?  Being a Mom was like that for me, I?m still learning, and know there is an endless stream of information I have to bark upon.  So, don't be too hard on those doing the judging, they know not what they do.  hehe, easier said than done.

• imageMrslove78:

Mama_SAS:

Don't worry about people judging this, it's only because they know no better.  I think many people do judge that until they have toddlers (with or without special needs) Kids are quick, and they don't listen well no matter what, even if you?re holding their hand.  They see something that they want to touch or play with they are OUT'a'there.  I used to judge, but MAN I was dumb before I was a Mom.  I sure have respect for the people who says they will never say "I will never" until they have children.  You know how sometimes learning something new only opens your eyes to the fact that you know even less that you originally thought you didn't know?  Being a Mom was like that for me, I?m still learning, and know there is an endless stream of information I have to bark upon.  So, don't be too hard on those doing the judging, they know not what they do.  hehe, easier said than done.

I know exactly what you mean. What's the saying? "I was the best mom until I had kids." That's how I feel.

Also I hope it didn't come across like only special needs kids should be on leashes. That's just why my son was on one when he was older than most kids who would need leashes. KWIM? 

• Well the first thing the people in WalMart aren't the best social gage you can have. If you think I'm wrong well the go check out peopleofwalmart.com.

Second you can NEVER say never about anything. You really have no clue what you will do if something happens. What would you do if your child got all smart ass on you and called you a biitch or a fuucking cvnt. (And please don't say your child will never do that because you really don't know that.)

I know not only will my child get smacked in the mouth but will also get a royal beat down. You may ask why I know I'll do this bucase my darling loving child did decide to call me a biitch and that is exactly what I did. 

Time to put on your big girl panties

I've got your rainbows and ponies right here
  • imageOosumSauce:

Well the first thing the people in WalMart aren't the best social gage you can have. If you think I'm wrong well the go check out peopleofwalmart.com.

Second you can NEVER say never about anything. You really have no clue what you will do if something happens. What would you do if your child got all smart ass on you and called you a biitch or a fuucking cvnt. (And please don't say your child will never do that because you really don't know that.)

I know not only will my child get smacked in the mouth but will also get a royal beat down. You may ask why I know I'll do this bucase my darling loving child did decide to call me a biitch and that is exactly what I did. 

I guess i was more referring to the 0-12 age group? lol. my mom would hit me in the face for no reason, that would be my reasoning. But you are right (in the fact that i dont know what they will do or say) and i admire your words of wisdom.

• "not listen when they want my attention."

You do realize that they want your attention all the time?  Especially when you're on the phone trying to make a doctor's appointment, or begging  a plumber to fix your exploding toilet, or taking a bath, changing a tampon, making dinner while trying to  keep the dog from vomiting on the couch....basically any activity that requires concentration will cause your child to have an urgent and desperate need for you to listen to them.

• imagedirtyred:

"not listen when they want my attention."

You do realize that they want your attention all the time?  Especially when you're on the phone trying to make a doctor's appointment, or begging  a plumber to fix your exploding toilet, or taking a bath, changing a tampon, making dinner while trying to  keep the dog from vomiting on the couch....basically any activity that requires concentration will cause your child to have an urgent and desperate need for you to listen to them.

Hehehe I frequently ask DS why he only wants to talk to me if there's a phone up to my ear. It's so very true.

• This is all very comical to me...

As a mom already, I can still say I will never say never (except for the hitting in the face).

• imagemissesru:
    imageMrslove78:
    imagecinema_goddess:

Stick out tongue

I know the whole leash thing can be a hot topic, but in some instances I think it can be a good safety measure. My sister has a very active and independent almost-2-year-old and recently took her to the state fair - a VERY crowded place. She used one of those leashes that hooks to a monkey backpack so that she didn't get away from her. In my opinion I would rather it "look weird" than to be hysterical because my daughter ran off in a crowd. Also, I imagine she would be more traumatized by the experience of being lost than being on a leash.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think there's much I'll say "I'll never do" because after having a toddler, I see things a lot differently now. For example, if I saw a kid out in just their diaper, I'd think I bet that kid had a blow out or something equally as nasty and as luck would have it they didn't have a spare outfit. Poor them.

I would also never judge a parent for ignoring a child's tantrum in a store. Sometimes you don't have the option to leave and I'd rather see them stick to their guns and teach their child that they can't have everything they want then give in. Props to that mom!

That being said, I know I'd never hit my child in the face. Ever.

• imageMama_SAS:
    imagedirtyred:

Hehehe I frequently ask DS why he only wants to talk to me if there's a phone up to my ear. It's so very true.

This can't be any truer.  But it's good to know there will be that one supermom out there who will hang up the phone instantly just to answer their kid who has asked for the 17th time if they can have a snack at 7:20am.

• imagedirtyred:

hahahahha. Love it!! So true, so true.

• imagecinema_goddess:

Stick out tongue

Excellent.

:)

• imageJ+MS:

That!  I have a friend that will put her son to bed with a bottle of milk or soda...and I just can't see myself doing that.  Soda was a treat for me, and I plan to do the same with DD. 

When DH and I were first married and moved into an apartment we started to notice that the couple that lived a few doors down in a duplex would let their daughter stay outside for HOURS by herself and completely naked.  It was just astonishing at how they could think that was okay.  So, this one is obviously on my list.

Other than that, I have to agree that I can never say never.

• imagememelou10:

I will never let my child feel like she has enough control over me that if she starts throwing a tantrum, I will leave a public place.  If she is sick & crying due to a stomach ache-We will leave ASAP.  If she is simply throwing a tantrum in the store because she wants a toy & I won't buy it for her then I redirect her attitude.  I can tell her stop once & she does & if we have to leave because of a tantrum then she knows when we get home it's straight to time-out.!!   I've never had to do that though. But we talk about why is so upset & it usually helps.

It annoys me sooo badly when I see a child crying or trying to tell parent something & the parent just ignores them or tells them to be quiet.  Your kid if trying to say something, listen to them!  DD is just starting to have a mini-conversation & I can ask/talk to her about something & she can communicate it back to me.  That is important to me!

ok, getting off my soap box now!

ah, communication is key with a child of, say 2 - 12 years old?

yeah, that's special

• imagedirtyred:

Agreed x1000!  And I also agree w/ the poster who said, "I was the best parent until I became one."  It's SO easy to say what you will and won't do.

Obviously, hitting my child in the face is something I will never do.  And I did assume we were talking about small children, not teenagers (if my teenager called me a f*cking c*nt that's a very different situation).  

Regarding leashes, tantrums in stores, and other things like that, I will never say never until I've been in that situation.  And the in-store tantrum thing is just starting for us! 

I try very hard not to judge other parents unless they're doing something that is blatantly unsafe or harmful to their children.

• imageSmores730:

I don't think there's much I'll say "I'll never do" because after having a toddler, I see things a lot differently now. For example, if I saw a kid out in just their diaper, I'd think I bet that kid had a blow out or something equally as nasty and as luck would have it they didn't have a spare outfit. Poor them.

Oh, and yes, this has been me.

• My only absolute, outside of the obvious of not beating our child is that DS will never sleep in our bed with us while we are sleeping.

My pet peeves that I'm going to try and steer clear of are :

- the whole leash thing drives me crazy, I get that there are special circumstances but I feel like parents should have better control over their kids.  I don't buy the whole "my kid is energetic, quick and runs fast" excuse.

- if/when my child throws a temper tamtrum in a mall/store/restaurant I will remove him from the situation - there is no need to torment other shoppers/eaters. 

It simply amazes me how many kids nowadays rule their households, I see it with my friends and co-workers and I can't get over it.  While I may not know what is in store for us once DS gets here, I'm going to try my hardest to set the ground rules early - both DH and I were brought up with a little bit of tough love and we plan on carrying that on. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"