Breastfeeding

Oversupply and spit up?

So far, breastfeeding has been going great for LO and I.  She is peeing, pooping and gaining weight as a breastfed baby should.

Over the last couple of days I have noticed that my left breast is fuller and seems to be producing a lot more milk that the right side.  I had to pump once the other day for relief and after 3 minutes had 3 oz.  Yesterday and today while BFing from the left LO basically starts choking, coughing, gagging etc (this doesnt happen when she is on the right).  Yesterday afternoon she spit up.  It was a lot and soaked the entire front of her & Me.  The same thing happened again today.

I know spitting up is normal but how much?  I think of spit up as just a few drops that you wipe away from LO's mouth.  After she was done I felt like I was looking at everything she had eaten for the day!  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but LO rarely burps. 

How do I continue to feed her from the left without issues?  The last time I kind of sat her up so the top of her head was above my nipple.  I read that may help her to have more control over the flow.  

Any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated!

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12

Re: Oversupply and spit up?

• If you have oversupply and or fast letdown in one breast, LO is more likely to spit up because he gets too much too fast.  Ditto AmyG about not pumping on the "less full" side.  Just feed more on that side.  To slow down the flow try nursing LO in a more reclined position or even side-lying.  When I had oversupply, DS would projectile vomit at least once or twice a day, all over everything, him, me, the couch.  He was just getting too much too fast.  He doesn't do that anymore now that the oversupply is under control.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"