North Dakota Babies
Options

Posted This Over On AP...

Please feel free to answer because I really want to keep movin forward with BLW, but I'm hitting a brick wall and I have to make a decision fast because eventually she's got to eat.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/43215871.aspx

Re: Posted This Over On AP...

• Options
    Well I am no help because I have no idea what BLW even means lol!!!
  • Options
    Obv. I can't offer any real advice since I don't have kids, but I will tell you that my cousin-in-law has one of those mesh net things (that the poster on AP linked you to) that she has used for all 3 of her kids. She loves them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gianna has a mesh feeder and loves it!!!!!
  • Options
    I didn't want to say this over on the AP board because I don't know the girls over there, but I have a mesh thing too, and it's not that I don't like it, it just defeats the purpose of BLW - which is for an infan to learn to feed her/himself real food. Thnk you, though, for the suggestion! The theory behind it is great, but it's REALLY hard to watch your LO biting chunks of food. All I think is "***!! She's gonna choke!!" and I pull whatever's in her mouth, out. Meanwhile, the book says choking is no more common in BLW than in spoon feeding purees. I don't know how I feel about that... And the more I interfere, the less relaxed Mari is and blah blah blah... I think it's time to pull out the rice cereal.
  • Options

imageDreamsBride411:
    The theory behind it is great, but it's REALLY hard to watch your LO biting chunks of food. All I think is "***!! She's gonna choke!!" and I pull whatever's in her mouth, out.

I think this is SO understandable! I mean jeez... when my nephew was first learning to feed himself and started eating solids I was a freakin mess & so stressed. I'm not even his mama.

I also didn't know what BLW was, once I looked it up I can see where that mesh thing would defeat the purpose.

• Options

OKay call me a crazy, but what is the purpose of BLW...shouldnt she be on purees now, she is still just a little peanut.....Why have her eating foods that you are so worried about her choking over??

Again, I apologize because I really have no idea the theory behind BLW because I never heard about it until now.....

• Options
    imageMelVic:

OKay call me a crazy, but what is the purpose of BLW...shouldnt she be on purees now, she is still just a little peanut.....Why have her eating foods that you are so worried about her choking over??

Again, I apologize because I really have no idea the theory behind BLW because I never heard about it until now.....

Yeah, I guess I don't really understand it either.  But my suggestion is that if you are that worried about it then go to puree's.  If its stressing you out that much than whatever good it is suppose to do seems to be lost.  You are anxious which is causing her to be anxious which will probably hinder in the long run.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageDreamsBride411:
    The theory behind it is great, but it's REALLY hard to watch your LO biting chunks of food. All I think is "***!! She's gonna choke!!" and I pull whatever's in her mouth, out.

I agree. I like the theory of BLW, but I don't see myself doing it in reality b/c it would scare the crap out of me.  I will probably try a modified version--purees + giving some foods that are easier for a baby to manage or harder to bite chunks out of, etc.  It's too scary to do it 100% IMO.  But, like the girl on AP said, you have to do what's best for YOU and YOUR baby.  

• Options
    What about giving her purees on a spoon so she can 'feed' herself.  K loves to do this.  She often reaches for the spoon.  Sometimes she makes it in her mouth and sometimes she doesn't.  But she is still learning to feed herself and generally people need to eat with silverware more often than their hands.  I don't see the harm in doing it that way.  But I have not read anything about BLW.
  • Options
    I haven't read that much about BLW, but B always makes faces at and spits out her rice cereal and purees. I got her some puffed rice cereal (like rice crispies) and she loves that. It is small so I don't worry about it too much. I am still trying with the purees though. Could you cut the food up into small pieces? Or you could do purees on some things and BLW on others?
  • Options
    I guess my big question is- why do you feel this is important? (I'm not trying to be rude- just truly trying to understand the theory.) If your reasons for trying BLW outweigh the potential risks- go for it. Just from googling it I'm not sure I "get it" either.
  • Options

I'm thinking about doing BLW with Q when she hits 6 months. The point is to let them explore foods. They don't need solids for nutritional purposes until about 1 year.

I don't think you need to be 100% one or the other with purees or BLW, you know? Using the Mesh feeder isn't failure! 

Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • Options

imagetrevess:
    I guess my big question is- why do you feel this is important? (I'm not trying to be rude- just truly trying to understand the theory.) If your reasons for trying BLW outweigh the potential risks- go for it. Just from googling it I'm not sure I "get it" either.

Carollyn, I literally sat and asked myself this last night when I was becoming mega stressed over it...

The reasons why I thought BLW would be the right approach was:

1.  Lower rate of childhood and adulthood obesity - a baby teaches him/herself when enough is enough and they're full - just like BFing.  It makes spoon feeding sound like force feeding.

2.   It opens them up to a wide variety of different foods and doesn't focus on how much they're eating, rather how much they're exploring.  It makes it seem that in the future they'll be more likely to eat different foods.

3.  It believes in adding to milk feedings rather than replacing them.

4.  It's supposed to be a less stressful approach - just take from your plate and put on baby's.

I really think you guys helped me put this whole thing into perspective.  I'm going to go with combo feeding... both purees and some solid foods - ones that I feel safe with.

I can't believe I still haven't really fed this kid (except for bananas twice).

Thank you ladies!!!!

• Options
    imageDreamsBride411:

I can't believe I still haven't really fed this kid (except for bananas twice).

Don't worry about this.  I waited until Caroline hit the  month mark until I fed her solids.

• Options
    imageBlondeBeachBride08:

I'm thinking about doing BLW with Q when she hits 6 months. The point is to let them explore foods. They don't need solids for nutritional purposes until about 1 year.

I don't think you need to be 100% one or the other with purees or BLW, you know? Using the Mesh feeder isn't failure! 

They do need the iron though, because around 4 months their iron level starts depleting. I considered waiting until 1 year to start solids- but research says they do need to learn how to manipulate solids at this stage or they risk having difficulty with chewing & swallowing skills later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"