Parenting after 35

How did you (or will you) celebrate your 40th b-day

I am turning 40 in December and am just curious what others have done or are planning to do.  I know my DH is planning something for the Sat before and my one sister who lives in town is helping and my parents will be here for the weekend.  No clue what they have planned though.  My b-day is during the week and I am taking the day off.  I am thinking of doing a massage but not sure what else to do (kids will be in preschool/PreK).  DH has offered to take part of the day off with me if I want him to.  I am thinking massage and a nice lunch but not sure what else. 

Oh and my mom is taking my sisters and I (no kids or hubbies) to FL for a long weekend at the end of Jan to celebrate both my 40th and her 70th which is 10 days after my b-day.  We are doing a day spa, lots of shopping, eating and just being together and relaxing.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: How did you (or will you) celebrate your 40th b-day

• Is it sad that I can't remember?  That was 3 1/2 years ago, for gosh sakes!  Maybe it's better this way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My birthday was a little over the top but my DH felt the need to out do me because I gave him an over-the-top 40th.

The morning of my 40th DH surprised me with a new car.  When I got home he threw a surprise party and flew my parents in.  Then he gave me a trip to Vegas (hence my parents to watch Matt) with time off from work and arranged for my BF and her DH to come out as well. 

Sadly the trip to Vegas was the only thing I enjoyed.

What I asked for was a nice dinner out (with or without friends) and most importantly a babysitter. I ended up watching an overtired and cranky Matt during my party. Oh and I wanted jewelry or a nice watch as a gift.  I know, I know a pity party for the woman who got a car for her birthday. ;)

• Loading the player...
  • My DH and I went to Newport, Rhode Island for my 40th in early April. I didn't want a party and just wanted to go away. I had a spa day and a nice lobster dinner on the water. Besides Aaron not sleeping (he came with us) on the trip, it was lovely.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • LOL--I told DH my 40th birthday present had better involve a plane ticket!

We ended up going to Savannah for a few days.

• A friend of mine threw me a huge party (non-surprise since I had to give her the guest list) and 3 months later I got pregnant so that party was the last time I looked good in a dress!  Crying
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Harry Potter World!!!

Not sure about the day of, but I am embracing it as an excuse for DD and I can accompany DH to his conference in Orlando and visit Disney and Harry Potter World at Universal.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • The FL trip sounds awesome!

DH and I went to Lake Tahoe and went skiing for the first time. It was fun but I didn't get very adventurous as I found out I was pregnant less than a month before :)

• imagepahokie:

Harry Potter World!!!

Not sure about the day of, but I am embracing it as an excuse for DD and I can accompany DH to his conference in Orlando and visit Disney and Harry Potter World at Universal.

THIS!!!  :D

• I was 18weeks pregnant and in Vegas with my sister and best friend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine was pretty low-key. When I was 20 I envisioned a huge party or a fabulous trip for my 40th but with this economy and the fact that we had just moved to a new city and knew no one, what we did is get a babysitter to watch Adrian and then DH took me out for dinner at PF Changs and a movie. It was fun but I definitely wish it had been a bigger deal. My mom sent me 40 red roses, that was awesome.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • It'll likely be low key.  I'm not  a big party person so that would make me uncomfortable.  I'd rather have one dinner one night to celebrate here with the kids and another dinner another night at a nice restaurant sans kids.  Otherwise, I'd like to have the day to do what I please and that's the end of my requirements.  This year, we're going to the movies and dinner.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• That plan with your mom sounds divine. 

I'm not at 40 just yet, but its around the corner. I'm thinking that I'd like to really splurge....its in the summer so I'm thinking renting a house for that week somewhere beachy in New England.  

• I was still single on my 40th. I debated hiding under the bed for the day but decided to travel to a spa instead. I spent a few days being pampered. It was fantastic. This year was my first birthday with DS and it was the best one ever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"