Baby Names
Options

I don't want him to hate us....

I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight/help into this name.

My husband's and my last name starts with Hock. We both love the name Lucas and would like to use it, but I'm worried about how it flows with our last name. We prefer Lucas and wouldn't use the nn Luke, but I worry that other people (specifically kids at school) might. If you say Luke Hock----- fast, it sounds like Luke Kock----. I'm wondering if anyone else would have made the same connection or if I'm just paranoid and overthinking this.

Re: I don't want him to hate us....

• Options
    None of the boys named Lucas I know go by "Luke." To me, this is a different name.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Luke Hock may sound like that, but Luke Hockelberry doesn't.  As in, your last name isn't Hock, it just starts w/ that.  I dont' think people will make that connection.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageanna7602:
    None of the boys named Lucas I know go by "Luke." To me, this is a different name.

This. It's up to the kid really if he prefers a different version of his name... If you like Lucas, call him that. 

• Options
    I think Lucas would work just fine.  Be careful with nickname restrictions, however!  You won't be able to control what everyone calls your son...nicknames can't always be picked...they just kind of happen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I figured I was probably overthinking it. Thank you for the reassurance! So far this is the only name we can come up with and agree upon.

If he wants to be called Luke, that's fine by me. And you're right, nicknames can't always be chosen. I do have a friend named Marcus that never was called anything else. It was always just Marcus. So it could work out that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"