Attachment Parenting
Options

talk to me about flu shots

Does anyone have any information about flu shots and babies? Could you point me in the direction of some research? I've always got an annual flu shot for as long as I can remember without really questioning it, but want to make sure I make an informed decision about giving one to my son.

Re: talk to me about flu shots

• Options
    They can get them after they're 6 months old.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The best I can tell you is our pedi thought it was imperative that DS get one once he was over 6 months old.  He felt that the flu is an immediate danger to DS and he needed to be protected.  We tend to let our pedi make the majority of this kind of call.  When he was so sure about it, we did it.  He just had his on Monday for this year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You can probably find a lot of pro-flu shot information - just look on the cdc, aap, march of dimes, etc. These organizations pretty much agree that flu shots are safe.

As for the other side of the story... 

Dr. Bob Sears has this information on his website, which I found interesting:

"Should people even get any flu shots?

I don?t have a recommendation one way or another. There hasn?t been a lot of research on safety and efficacy of flu shots (just read through the product inserts ? the sizes of the research studies are very small compared to all other childhood vaccines), and the product inserts are very clear about where the research is lacking (almost seems like a disclaimer in there).

BUT, the flu can and does kill people every year. I do believe the flu shot helps protect against the flu and lowers this risk. I go over many of the pros and cons in The Vaccine Book. Everyone has to make their own choice on this. I?m not going to make a suggestion one way or the other.

You can review all the product inserts yourself from the homepage of "

It is from this website: https://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

And he also has a lot more information on there if you scroll down, which all sounds pro-vaccine to me. All of the information is from last year though.

There was also a study several years ago about the efficacy of the flu vaccine in kids under 2. Here is an article about it (and the rebuttal): https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/general/news/feb2505flushots.html 

• Options
    I'm a big supporter of flu shots for kids and babies including my own son. 
  • Options
    I just read that article posted above, and hard to tell, but I wonder if they were looking at kids who received one dose or two doses of the flu vaccine. For kids less than 9, they need a booster one most after the first dose the first year they get the flu vaccine.
  • Options
    I will only do the flu shot for my LO if the practice has the one that is mercury free.  I got the shot yesterday, I can't take getting the flu this year, and my school requires it.
  • Options

as PP mentions, some flu vaccine is preservative-free and some is not.

i think fluzone is the only flu vax for very young children. for 2010/11, the individual dose/syringes of fluzone are preservative free. the larger vials for dosing multiple people contain preservatives (e.g. mercury). that is a concern for some parents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"