Cincinnati Babies

s/o flu shot

Are pregnant mommas supposed to get one before birth? I know it is a total no-no during the first trimester, but wasn't sure about 2nd or 3rd? My little one will be born during flu season but will be too young to get the shot, so I want to make sure the rest of us get vax, but wasn't sure if I should do it before or after birth.

Re: s/o flu shot

• My OB told me to get one once I hit the 2nd tri.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Yep, you should get one.  My OB advised me to get one last year and I only had 3 weeks till delivery.  Do it before.
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Loading the player...
  • yep- I got one when I was in the 2nd trimester. My OB recommended it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I got my flu shot yesterday and I'm 32 weeks. I also had one during my last pregnancy.

I hope it's okay!

Photos taken by Becky Thompson
  • I get mine tomorrow. 

ETA: I'm also getting a Pertussis vaccine (as are DH, my parents, and my sister) as per the recommendation of our pediatrician.

• imageLyons_in_2007:

ETA: I'm also getting a Pertussis vaccine (as are DH, my parents, and my sister) as per the recommendation of our pediatrician.

yep, they combine it with the tetanus vaccine now (at least some I guess) so I got that when DD was younger and I think it is supposed to alst 5-10 years or something. I need to check to see if DH's tetanus shot had the pertussis in it also - I should probably make my mom get one also.

Our flu shot day here at work is coming up soon, actually it may be tomorrow also - or at least next week.

Thanks ladies.

• I got one last October in my third trimester.  I got the one without the thimerosal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • From what I understand, they highly recommend getting a flu shot while you're pregnant. Not only does it cover you, but I was told that it also covers your baby for the first 6 months of it's life (a time when they can't get the flu shot themselves). Now, this was the information I was given during my last pregnancy, but I'm planning on getting a flu shot this time, too. I'm hoping I can get one at my next appointment next week.
  • imageLyons_in_2007:

I get mine tomorrow. 

This.  I get my flu shot on the 4th and the pertussis vaccine a few days after delivery at my PCP office.  My pediatrician and OB also recommened it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Why is it a no no in the first trimester? I got one in the first trimester (9weeks) with DS and neither my OB nor my allergist (who is crazy conservative with pregnant women) said a thing about not doing it in the first trimester?! DS is here so if it's bad I guess any damage that is going to be done has been done. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I got both the H1N1 and the regular flu shot last fall/winter while I was in my third trimester. I plan on getting the flu shot again this year, so DS can benefit from it in my milk.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"