Stay at Home Moms
Options

Ideas for unscheduled or drop-in activities?

Hi ladies,

New SAHM mom here.  My DS is now 4.5 months old.  I'm looking to start getting out of the house a little more, for my own sanity and to expose DS to new things.  We're still figuring out our routine and naps - things change every week it seems.  I'm trying to find some activities to do or places to go that will be more flexible with DS's changing schedule.  It's hard to commit to things (mom groups, mom and baby fitness classes, etc.) when he sleeps so much right now.  I usually only have a 1.5 - 2 hour window when he's awake. What kinds of things did you do with your little one at this age to get out of the house and meet people?

I'm thinking drop-in or unstructured type activities would be best.  Any ideas, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: Ideas for unscheduled or drop-in activities?

• Options

Really, at that point, we didn't do much.  I was actually still working then but unless we went somewhere to walk around or something, there wasn't much else to do.  Young like that is hard because they aren't walking so any sort of play area is out, the couldn't care less about a story time type thing.

My suggestion would be to get out and go on walks or walk around the mall or something.  You may not meet many people that way (that will come later) but it will at least get you out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    at 4.5 months, just getting out to do your activities is enough stimulation for your baby. Walks, errands, lunch with friends, whatever. I would go the playdates when he's awake and it works, but otherwise I'd enjoy this time when he is still so mobile and able to sleep on the go. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think about that age we started going to Gymboree once a week.  Other than that there was not a whole lot.  We would go to the mall, Target, or walks around the neighborhood.
  • Options
    I just got a calendar for the MOMs group in my area.  Do you have one of those?  You don't have to commit to anything.  They just put the calendar out monthly and they do things like meet for a stroller walk on certain days, coffee, etc.  You rsvp so they know to wait for you but none of the activities are required and the times and days are different every month.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There are some free storytimes in my area and there are actually moms who bring infants in their carseats. Its probably nice just to get out and be around other moms and kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"