Attachment Parenting

I need HELP from the Multi-Allergy Mommas!

I have always suspected a dairy allergy. When DS was very small, he had horrible reflux. We were EBF at that time (no solids yet) and I told my then Pedi that I suspected it was a dairy allergy and I took myself off all dairy and his reflux was better. We were off the Zantac by 8 mon. I decided at 10mon to try yogurt and he loved it and kept it down. At this time I was avoiding all obvious dairy sources, but eating things that were made w dairy.

Around 11.5 months, DS was eating yogurt and cheese and tolerating it well, so I decided to try a little WCM in the sippy. This also corresponded to trying DS in daycare. Well, he got a rip roaring ear infection that wasn't responding to antibiotics. I just assumed that the ear infection was due to daycare and pulled him from daycare and had my MIL watch him again.

Well my new Family Doc suggested (after the 2rd round of antibiotics) that it is probably allergies and ordered RAST testing. In the meanwhile, we eliminated dairy and started a 3rd antibiotic and he got better. OMG...my kid came up allergic to corn, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts, soy, lamb(weird b/c I don't eat lamb and DS has never had it)  and wheat. I am still BFing and I am stressing about what I can eat and what DS can eat.

The doc suggested an elimination diet for both of us and we have an appt with the allergist on the 21st. I almost had a breakdown in the grocery store b/c everything has one of the allergic foods in it and DS was already a picky eater. I need some food ideas  and recipes ASAP! Please help!

Re: I need HELP from the Multi-Allergy Mommas!

• RAST testing is not always 100% accurate. No form of allergy testing is really - you have to food challenge each finding. Atopic patch testing is the most accurate, especially for LOs <2 years old, but some kids will test + for things they aren't really allergic to if they are prone to eczema. Every kid is different. Another thing that we found with Ari was that if he was reacting to something, he would quickly start reacting to EVERYTHING because his system would go into hyperdrive. I went on a TED when he was 10 months old b/c we were having that issue.

I agree with your pedi to do a TED. You don't have to do it for weeks  on end or anything. Often a week to week 1/2 will do the trick. Then add back the foods one at a time, introducing one every 3-4 days. My suspicion would be it's just the dairy though, since you haven't seen a reaction to these foods before.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ((hugs))  I am sorry you are going through this.  I know it is really really tough.  You need to shop at a store that has organic & health food (Whole Foods and Wegmans' organic aisles are where we shop).  It is overwhelming at first, but you will get into a groove with what you can/can't eat.  Many "Gluten Free" foods will be your friend, not because you are gluten free but because they are usually sensitive to allergies and are careful about using other ingredients like sunflower lecithin instead of soy lecithin, etc.  Focus on eating a lot of fresh veggies & fruits.  You can have any rice products (rice noodles/pasta/flour/bread/milk/ice cream).  You can have coconut milk and ice cream (YUM!).  You will find that a lot of recipes can be okay with a few substitutions.  You can have Earth Balance natural buttery spread that is soy & dairy free (red label)-- this is a life saver for recipes.  

Generally, when you look at labels and start to see 20 ingredients, you know that item likely won't be an option (and you think, really,was I eating all of that crap before?).   You look at a bag potato chips and see potatoes, sunflower oil, sea salt = thumbs up (check out Kettle One Sea Salt Chips) =)  Honestly, we should have probably been eating like this before anyway.  I am becoming a little outraged at the crap they are putting out there!  

Our meals this week include pasta with garlic, olive oil, ckn broth, chicken & spinach; cilantro lime turkey burgers (I make my own bread, seriously, it is easy just has to sit 18-24 hours before baking, google NO KNEAD BREAD)); stuffed peppers (but we don't actually stuff the peppers b/c I am too lazy); ham with balsamic potatoes & onions; roast with potatoes & carrots; baked ckn & capers.  All of these would be okay for you too, just substitute rice pasta, etc.  Good Luck!

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"